Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017

37 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017 from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:39 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

ROCKIES AT PHILLIES
PLAY: ROCKIES -122

This Colorado team is starting to turn me into a believer. The improvement on the pitching staff is impressive, and I absolutely think the hiring of Bud Black as manager is a big part of the reason why the young hurlers on this staff are succeeding.

The Rockies are not cooling off and they should have a good chance to maintain their winning ways tonight against the slumping Phillies. I give Marquez a nice edge over Eflin as far as the starting pitchers are concerned, and the Colorado bullpen is superior to that of the Phils, especially if this game is girth toward the finish.

The road chalk will be a very popular side tonight, but I also think it’s the right side. I’ll spot the price with the Rockies to register another win.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:40 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Rickenbach

Penguins vs. Senators
Play: Under 5

Over the past 5 months - dating all the way back to mid-December - the Penguins have gone 4 straight games without an under only 1 time! That said, the last 3 games have featured 2 overs and a push and I like the value being offered on the under here. Nice plus money return with the UNDER 5 goals in this one. Ottawa knows they have to return to a defensive-minded game after getting completely out-skilled in the Game 5 loss in Pittsburgh. The Senators found out the hard way that they certainly are unwise to try and get into a fast-paced shootout with the Penguins. That said, and returning to home ice after back to back losses, I look for the Sens to have strong emphasis on defense and clogging up the neutral zone to slow down the Pens skilled forwards in this one. The Senators are fighting for their playoff lives after blowing the 2-1 series lead and the under is 28-15 in Sens games this season when they are playing with revenge.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:41 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sean Higgs

Celtics vs. Cavs
Play:Cavs -14½

I was just sorta shocked they raced out to such a huge lead. I thought they would be up 6-9 points, and gradually pull away to a double digit cover. I really didn't think they would be that focused out of the gate against a team they beat by 40+. Where was the real motivation? Boston down 0-2. They are in desperate, circle the wagon territory. Cleveland, eh.. going through the motions.

Look - That show was all about LeBron letting people now who the real MVP is of the league. That guy, like Jordan before him, is the MVP every year. He has proven it. He left the Cavs, they were in the lottery. He left the Heat, how are they doing? He is on the doorstep of being a repeat NBA Champion.

Boston is not a good team. A 1 seed getting double digits. What an absolute joke. All of the chatter about LeBron after Game 3 will be replaced with how he is one of the all-time greats after a near triple double tonight and a 20 point win.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:43 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Spreitzer

Blue Jays vs. Brewers
Play: Brewers -112

Milwaukee is in first place in the NL Central and has won seven of its last nine games, including four on the road. The Brewers won both games against the Blue Jays in April and Toronto has lost five of its last seven games overall and remains in last place in the AL East. The Blue Jays are 9-15 away from home and are riddled with injuries and they have lost five of their last six interleague games. Jimmy Nelson is coming off two quality starts and he has a 1.15 ERA and .193 BAA in May. Joe Biagini will make his fourth start and he got rocked his last time out allowing six runs (five earned) in four innings at Atlanta. Biagini has given up 12 earned runs on 18 hits in 18 innings on the road this season. We expect more of the same.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:44 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Marc Lawrence

Cleveland at Cincinnati
Play: Cleveland -151

Edges - Indians: 9-1 last 10 games in this series; and Salazar 3-0 career team starts in this series; and 5-1 career team starts away during May; and 5-0 last five overall team starts during May… Reds: Garrett 15 BBs and 12 Ks last four starts… With Carrasco in great KW form with 33 Ks and 5 BBs in his last five starts, we recommend a 1* play on Cleveland.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dustin Hawkins

Royals vs. Yankees
Play: Royals +136

Play against any team like the (NY YANKEES) - with a starting pitcher whose ERA is 4.70 to 5.20 on the season (AL), with a team slugging percentage of .440 or better on the season (AL). (29-13 over the last 5 seasons.) (69%). Yankees pitcher Jordan Montgomery is 0-1 when starting against KANSAS CITY with an ERA of 9.00 and a WHIP of 1.400.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dennis Macklin

Blue Jays vs. Brewers
Play: Brewers -111

At 25-19, the Brewers have to be considered one of the bigger surprises of the first tow months of MLB bases. Their young pitching is talented and ahead of schedule and the lineup can put up some runs. Jimmy Nelson gets the call today and he's been razor sharp with a 1.15 ERA over his L3 starts. He'll face a Blue Jay team that made a run 10 days ago but has once again fallen on hard times and is just 1-5 after an off day, 2-7 in interleague, 9-15 on the road and 6-12 vs. winning records.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:46 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Los Angeles at Tampa Bay
Play: Los Angeles +102

I cashed in on the Angels with a premium winner yesterday and I'll stick with LA on the bases Tuesday. The Angels are playing some of their best baseball of the season and have won two straight and 6 of 8 overall to move 1-game over .500. As mentioned in yesterday's analysis, a big part of the recent run is the hot-hitting of arguably the best player int he game in Mike Trout. I'll take my chances on the offense scoring enough here to get the win against Tampa Bay starter Alex Cobb. Angels are countering with Matt Shoemaker, who has been throwing the ball well of late, racking up 16 strikeouts in his last 2 starts (12 1/3 innings) and the Rays lead the majors in the number of strikeouts recorded.

Angels are 4-1 in their last 5 during Game 2 of a series, 4-1 in their last 5 off a win. They are also 5-1 in Shoemakers last 6 starts against a team with a losing record and 5-1 in his last 6 when pitching on 5 days of rest.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:47 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Rob Vinciletti

Toronto vs. Milwaukee
Play: Over 9

This game fits a solid 80% totals system that plays over for home favorites off a road dog loss by 5+ runs despite scoring 5 or more runs vs an opponent like Toronto that comes in off a road win. The Jays have flown over in 7 of 9 vs N.L. Teams. The Brewers are 17 of 23 over at home where they average 6 runs per game. Biagini for Toronto has 5.62 road Era and Nelson for Milwaukee has pitched over in 2 of his last three home starts.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:47 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Pittsburgh at Ottawa
Pick: Ottawa

Ottawa has played the defending champs even in the series through the first four games and is home in bounce back mode. The Senators are 11-5 in their last 16 after allowing 5 goals or more in their previous game. Pittsburgh's already battered defense took another blow when they scratched D Justin Schultz (upper body) the last game. The Penguins are 1-8 in their last 9 when their opponent allows 5 goals or more in their previous game.

Posted : May 23, 2017 10:48 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nelly

Boston vs. Cleveland
Play: Boston +15

NBA Playoff teams that have been stunned with upset losses as double-digit favorites are just 2-4 ATS the next game out playing as double-digit favorite again and the Cavaliers could face a challenging Game 4 at home after giving Boston some life with a lethargic second half performance that netted just 42 points. Only three of 10 playoff wins for the Cavaliers have come by more than 13 points as this team was challenged in sweeping the Pacers and only Toronto has looked sorely overmatched. Cleveland was handed three times as many free throw attempts as Boston in Game 3 while dominating the boards yet the Cavaliers still lost as there is a lot of room for the Celtics to stay within in this number if some of those statistics even out. LeBron James will be under the microscope tonight after a frustrating Game 3 showing but the loss of Isaiah Thomas allows Boston to have a bigger defensive rotation on the floor and Boston gave James a lot of problems with Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder predominantly guarding the Cleveland star while having Avery Bradley on the floor for 42 minutes to defend Kyrie Irving. The Celtics now have some life while Cleveland has some doubt and road teams continue dominate the ATS numbers in this postseason with a still highly favorable inflated price on the underdog Celtics tonight. Boston isn’t likely to pull off another mammoth S/U upset but they don’t even need to be in range of an upset to have a great chance to cover at this price.

Posted : May 23, 2017 2:41 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Royals vs. Yankees
Play: Yankees -141

We have a rematch on the mound here from last week with the Yankees Jordan Montgomery fell on the road to Royals starter Danny Duffy. KC won that contest 5-1, with all 5 runs by the Royals coming against Montgomery. It was a bit of bad luck for Montgomery, who only allowed 4 hits. With the series shifting venues, I look for New York to get revenge for their starter. Keep in mind this is a Royals team that is a mere 6-15 on the road (NY is 14-6 at home), scoring just 2.9 runs/game this season against left-handed starters and hitting .218 as a team on the road. Duffy pitched well against the Yankees last time out, giving up just 3 hits with 10 strikeouts over 7 shutout innings, yet still has a 5.88 ERA over his 6 career starts against New York.

Posted : May 23, 2017 2:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

John Martin

Minnesota at Baltimore
Play: Baltimore -138

The Baltimore Orioles suffered a rare home loss to the Minnesota Twins yesterday. They are now 18-5 in their last 23 home games, and I don't foresee them losing back-to-back contests at Camden Yards. Dylan Bundy is clearly the ace of this staff at 5-2 with a 2.97 ERA over nine starts, including 3-0 with a 2.05 ERA in four home starts. Ervin Santana has scuffled of late with a 4.95 ERA in his last three outings. Santana is 4-5 with a 4.87 ERA in 15 starts against the Orioles as well. The Orioles are 5-0 in Bundy's last five home starts. The Twins are 14-39 in their last 53 vs. a team with a winning record.

Posted : May 23, 2017 2:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Handicappers Hub

Detroit vs. Houston
Play: Detroit +209

Yes, Zimmerman is struggling and McCullers is coming in pitching very well but this value on the Detroit Tigers tonight on the road is unbelievable. Zimmerman is 2-2 lifetime against Houston with a 2.94 ERA and the Tigers are 3-2 in game where he starts. I really love this value here tonight as I think Zimmerman has a strong game and the Tigers score enough to get the W on the road!

Posted : May 23, 2017 2:46 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: