Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Friday, September 2nd, 2016

49 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Delaney

My free play for Friday night is on the Texas Rangers, laying a small price to American League West rival Houston, with the Astros traveling 250 miles for this series in Arlington.

The top teams in the division, with a combined eight-game win streak, and I think the Astros' struggles on the road will ruin their mini-streak this weekend.

While I know Houston has won five of its last six on the highway, it's still under .500 for the season while ordering room service. And now it has to face a Rangers team that has won five in a row and 25 of 35 against division rivals.

With chance to further distance themselves from the pack, I'll take Texas.

3* RANGERS

Posted : September 2, 2016 4:51 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free play winner for Friday is on the struggling Minnesota Twins against the Chicago White Sox, as the boys from the Twin Cities finally snapped this elongated, MLB-record, season-long losing streak. Just as I told you the Twins would win last night, I'm telling you they will win again tonight.

The Twins came into this series mired in a 13-game losing streak, one shy of the franchise mark set in 1982, and finished August with a disappointing 9-19 mark. They're 1-0 in September, and that's all that matters.

And while manager Paul Molitor might want to update his resume at this point, I think the Twins will turn the tables on the South Siders after posting a 6-10 mark in this series this season.

Let's take a shot here, as the Pale Hose fall to the Twins for the second straight game, while mired in their own four-game skid.

1* TWINS

Posted : September 2, 2016 4:51 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

BOB HARVEY

Padres vs. Dodgers
Play: Under 7½

The Dodgers look to pad their lead in the National League West when they host the San Diego Padres in the opener of a three-game series in Los Angeles. Game time is set 10:10 PM ET at Chavez Ravine where the is 7.5.

The Dodgers (74-59, 42-26 home) are beginning a six-game homestrand and have a golden opportunity to distance themselves from the Giants. After three against San Diego, they’ll host the Arizona Diamondbacks in a three-game set. LA’s lead is 2 heading into tonight’s action and could be even bigger come next week. The Padres (55-78, 25-54 road) have lost seven of their last nine.

Julio Urias (5-2, 3.71 ERA) has given the Dodgers a huge lift He is 4-0 with a 0.92 over his last four appearances (three starts) and displaying he has the ability to overpower big-league hitters. Urias struck out eight in six innings while beating the Cubs in his last outing and has fanned 70 in 63 innings overall. He’s 3-0 in his last three starts with an ERA of 1.00, 16 strikeouts and just four walks in 17 innings. He’ll be opposed by veteran lefthander Clayton Richard who is 1-3 with a 3.51 ERA on the year and is 6-4 with a 3.84 ERA in 18 career appearances vs. the Dodgers.

The UNDER is 8-3-1 in the last 11 meetings. The Dodgers are 8-0 in Urias’ past eight starts while the Padres are 18-41 in their last 59 vs. LA.

Posted : September 2, 2016 4:52 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vegas Butcher

Chicago White Sox -105

This one has everything to do with starting pitching. Rodon is my 35th ranked starter over the last 30-days with an e-ERA of 3.7, while Gibson is 148th with an e-ERA of 5.9. Two starters heading in opposite directions. Plus a couple of Minnesota relievers threw 30+ pitches last night so bullpen could be an issue today. Chicago’s key guys in the BP are all fully rested. I like the ChiSox in this one.

Posted : September 2, 2016 6:24 pm
Page 4 / 4
Share: