Clear all

Free Picks: Free Service Plays for Friday, October 13th, 2017

23 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Free Picks for Friday, October 13th, 2017 from some of the nations best and worst handicappers

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Cappers Club

Washington St vs. Cal
Play: Over 55

California and Washington State face off on Friday night, and at this total the value sits with the over.

The Washington State Cougars offense is Dynamic, and that will show from early on in this game. So far this season they are averaging 39.7 points per game.

Cal doesn't necessarily have a good defense either. So far this year they are giving up 29 points per game, and I think the Cougars will take advantage of that from early on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington State almost cover this spread by themselves.

This game is going to be a shootout with not a ton of defense being played.

Some trends to note. Over is 5-1 in Golden Bears last 6 Friday games. Over is 4-1 in Cougars last 5 road games.

Posted : October 12, 2017 11:52 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

DAVE COKIN

WASHINGTON ST AT CALIFORNIA
PLAY: WASHINGTON ST -15

It’s the year of the road team in college football. Visiting teams are enjoying inordinate success, with road chalk performing at n astonishing rate. A blind play on every single road favorite piece to date this season has yielded an incredible 62.4% winners against the spread. Considering how deep we are into the season, that’a actually almost unbelievable.

With that in mind, I have to lean Wazzu’s way as the Cougars journey to Berkley for a clash with the Cal Golden Bears. It’s also not a bad matchup for Mike Leach’s team the way I see it.

California is okay in terms of pass defense efficiency, but they’re not great, and the Bears are going to see a full blown aerial attack tonight. A good way to counter that is for Cal to control the ball on offense aa well as they can. But that’s not something the Golden Bears do well at all. California’s rushing offense pretty much stinks, and I seriously doubt they can battle Wazzu in a passing duel at least not for 60 minute.

The optimum number is gone, so if you’re looking for value, there’s really none to be had on the favorite. But considering the matchup and adding in the extreme success road favorites are enjoying this season, I think it has to be Washington State as the better option tonight.

Posted : October 13, 2017 9:40 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

New York vs. Houston
Play: New York +155

I think the price is right here to back the Yankees in Game 1 of the ALCS against the Astros. New York is riding a huge wave of momentum after rallying from an 0-2 deficit to take out the Indians in the ALDS. I think they keep it going here and they will send out Masahiro Tanaka, who got this whole thing going for the Yankees with a sensational start in Game 3 against Cleveland. Tanaka struck out 7 and allowed just 3 hits over 7 scoreless innings. I know he's going up against Houston ace Dallas Keuchel, but this will be just his second start in the last 17 days. I look for him to be off his game a bit here and he had 3 walks and lasted just 5 2/3 in his lone start in the ALDS against Boston. New York is 6-1 in their last 7 road games against vs an AL starting pitcher with an ERA of 2.90 or less.

Posted : October 13, 2017 9:42 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ray Monohan

Yankees vs. Astros
Play: Under 8

ALCS Game 1 pins a pair of pitchers who have been dominant this season.

Dallas Keuchel gets the ball for the Astros and he comes in off a solid performance in Game 2 of the ALDS. The huge kicker for him was that the Astros got to avoid using him the rest of the series. Keuchel is on full rest and enters Friday 5-2 with an under 2 ERA against the Yankees.

Tanaka counters and he was dominant in the ALDS versus Cleveland, as he threw 7 shutout innings. Overall, he's thrown 14 straight scoreless frames and is in a prime spot here to hold the Astros down.

Some trends to note. Under is 5-2 in Keuchels last 7 starts vs. Yankees. Under is 18-7 in Tanakas last 25 starts vs. American League West.

Expect a very closely played game with limited scoring chances.

Posted : October 13, 2017 9:42 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Scott Rickenbach

Ottawa vs. Saskatchewan
Play: Ottawa +3

Saskatchewan is a tough place to visit but, of course, the Redblacks are the defending champs and what I like the most about this situation is the ability to get the full 3 points. The last 4 meetings between these teams have all been decided by 3 points or less. In fact, the average margin of those 4 games was 1.8 points! To have the full field goal here in a game that is very important for both teams is certainly a "value add". Also, the Redblacks are playing this game with revenge as they did suffer a one point home loss to the Roughriders just 2 weeks ago. In that game Ottawa dominated on the ground and did hold a 24-16 edge in first downs in the game but they fell a point short on the scoreboard. The Redblacks are seeking payback tonight and Ottawa is on a perfect 6-0 ATS run as a road dog of 3 points or less. Saskatchewan is on a 5-11 ATS run as a favorite.

Posted : October 13, 2017 9:43 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jim Feist

Detroit at Vegas
Pick: Under

Red Wings in a tough spot here having played last night in Arizona and now playing in upstart Vegas' backyard. The Red Wings are 2-1 heading into Arizona, having scored just eight goals in their first three games and allowing seven. Vegas is in its inaugural season and has already had multiple firsts. The Golden Knights won their first game of the season at Dallas, then won it's opening night home game over the Arizona Coyotes, 5-2, making the club 3-0. They lead the NHL in goals against (1.3) behind veteran net minder Marc-Andre Fluery. Detroit will be tired here on Friday and not as willing to attack the offensive zone. With a red-hot Fluery between the pipes

Posted : October 13, 2017 9:45 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Indian Cowboy

Clemson vs. Syracuse
Play: Under 57

If you remember, Clemson and Syracuse hooked up last year to see Clemson rout this team 56-0, and it was ugly. Syracuse will now get to face the No. 2 team in the nation at home, and they will be rocking. This is a Syracuse team that gave up 56 points to this Clemson team last year and will have revenge and want to do better this year. Syracuse is a top 45 defensive team, and to their credit they are a top 35 offensive team, so they will look to keep Clemson's offense off the field. Plus, you have a top 10 Clemson defense that is well versed in how potent Syracuse's offense is and will take it as a challenge. Remember, Clemson is also 5th in the nation in points allowed. With everyone taking the 'Over', this sets up nicely for an 'Under' here between these two teams as the 'Under' is 13-3 for the Orange in their last 16 games overall and the 'Under' is 8-2 for the Orange when they face a winning team.

Posted : October 13, 2017 10:28 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Vernon Croy

Clemson vs. Syracuse
Play: Syracuse +22.5

This pick falls into one of my top college football systems, and I feel this will be a much closer game than many might expect. Clemson's QB Kelly Bryant is questionable for this game after injuring his ankle, and even if he does play he will not be near 100% healthy. This Orange team can score, averaging 32 ppg this season, and they rank No. 6 in the country for total passing yards. The Orange are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 games when playing a team with a winning record and 5-1 ATS in their last 6 home games when playing a team with a winning record on the road. The Tigers are just 2-5 ATS in their last 7 conference games, and this is the same Orange team that went down to Baton Rouge and beat LSU 23-21 in the second half of that game, losing by just 9 points despite a slow start in a hostile environment.

Posted : October 13, 2017 10:29 am
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Washington State at California
Play: California +16.5

I like the value here with Cal as a two touchdown home dog against the Cougars. Washington State comes into this one off two huge wins. First they knocked off USC at home on a Friday night prime time game and they followed it up by going on the road at night and beating Oregon.

I think it will be tough for them to bring that same intensity on the road a second straight week against a Cal team that has lost 3 straight and fresh off an ugly 38-7 loss at Washington, where they were outgained by 284 yards.

I wasn't surprised to see the Bears struggle in that game against a very good Washington team, as they had nothing left in the tank after playing Ole Miss, USC and Oregon the previous 3 games. They won't have any problem here getting up for a home night game against a Top 10 opponent. Cal only lost to USC at home by 10 earlier this season and while I don't see them winning this one, I think they will be able to keep it close the whole way.

Washington State comes in having covered 4 straight, but are just 16-33 ATS in their last 49 games when they come in having covered 4 out of their last 5. Cougars head coach Mike Leach is also just 4-13 ATS in his coaching career when his team is playing on the road and riding a 3 game or more winning streak.

Posted : October 13, 2017 12:33 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Tommy Brunson

Have to look Under Friday night in the Carrier Dome when Clemson visits Syracuse.

Clemson is 4-2 Under their total for the season, while Syracuse is 5-1 Under the total in their 6 games played this year.

Tigers quarterback Kelly Bryant injured his ankle last week in Clemson's win over Wake Forest, so whether Bryant is at 100% or his backup Hunter Johnson under center, would tend to think the Tigers rely on their rugged defense that has stopped better units already this season to keep the 'Cuse from finding the end-zone much the way they did last year in Death Valley when they skunked the Orange, 54-0 in a game that landed Under the posted total.

Since joining the ACC, these teams have tangled 4 times, and 3 of the 4 meetings have indeed held Under the total.

Figure on this one getting close to the total the linesmakers have established, but figure on it falling just shy of the total.

Clemson-Syracuse Under on Friday.

1* CLEMSON-SYRACUSE UNDER

Posted : October 13, 2017 4:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Joey Juice

One thing we can say with extreme confidence is that without Jared Goff, this simply is not the same Cal offense.

With Bowers, he simply hasn't had the time to gain the experience to really run this offense the way it needs to be run.

A look inside the numbers tells us all we need to know about this total

The under is 5-1 in the Cougars last 6 games following an ATS win.

The under is 4-1 in the Cougars last 5 games after allowing less than 20 points.

The under is 4-1-1 in the Cougars last 6 Friday games

The under is 4-1 in the Cougars last 5 games after allowing less than 170 yards passing.

The under is 4-1 in the Cougars last 5 games after accumulating less than 100 yards rushing.

The under is 4-0 in the last 4 home games for Cal.

The under is 5-1 in Cal's last six on turf.

This is an under game.

4* WASHINGTON STATE-CAL UNDER

Posted : October 13, 2017 4:44 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

I had a chance to speak with a national reporter from Southern California, and he knows all about both USC and UCLA. He said he was planned on attending the Utah-Southern Cal game Saturday, because, in his words: "it's always a good game."

Then I looked at the number.

I'll take the double-digit road underdog.

I hate to say it, but I think the Trojans are falling off a bit, and appear to be less in sync than we saw at the beginning of the season. I'm not sure what has happened with quarterback Sam Darnold, but he's been sloppy of late, and that won't bode well against a feisty Utah defense.

Keep in mind Darnold made his first career start against Utah last season. He lost. And now, while he has passed for 1,705 yards with 12 touchdowns, he's also fired nine interceptions and has coughed up a handful of key fumbles.

Utah will be looking to avenge its first loss of the season, falling 23-20 to Stanford. And with this game being a prime-time contest on ABC, I think the Utes will be looking to prove themselves as a continued growing power from the Pac 12.

Also, with a win, Utah could return to the Top 25 rankings, and that will begin stirring the coffee of bowl committees.

Take the road pup here, as the Utes keep things under double digits.

2* UTAH

Posted : October 13, 2017 4:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Mike Lundin

Capitals vs. Devils
Play: Devils +135

The Washington Capitals won three of four meetings with New Jersey last season, but it's the Devils who are coming into this contest as the lone unbeaten team in the Eastern Conference on the season.

The Devils have scored a total of 16 goals in wins against Colorado, Buffalo and Toronto, and Cory Schneider has been solid in net. Note that Schneider stopped 41 of 42 shots in two outings (one start) against Washington last season.

The Caps are coming off a 3-2 loss to the Penguins, a game they really wanted to win. The energy levels might be low in the Washington camp for this contest, and this looks like a great price on the red hot Devils to hand the Caps a third consecutive defeat.

Posted : October 13, 2017 4:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chase Diamond

Northwestern vs. Maryland
Play: Maryland +3½

This game features the 2-3 Northwestern at the 3-2 Maryland. Watching most of Northwestern last week I really saw how bad this team is especially on offense. Maryland is home after getting blown out by OSU and won't be in a good mood when they take on Northwestern. Wild Cats are 0-2 on the road and I know Maryland is down to it's 4th QB but I think they have easily enough to keep it within 3. Maryland is 4-1 80% ATS versus teams with a losing record.

Posted : October 13, 2017 4:48 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: