1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Larry Ness

Oklahoma City vs. Philadelphia
Pick: Philadelphia

Oklahoma City went 55-27 last season but lost to the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference Finals after building a 3-1 lead. OKC traded Serge Ibaka to the Orlando Magic and also saw Kevin Durant sign a free agent contract with Golden State. The Thunder are now officially Russell Westbrook's team. The Philadelphia 76ers, off a 10-72 season, drafted Ben Simmons with the overall No. 1 pick but he fractured his right foot in training camp and underwent surgery in early October. He will be out until at least January. They are hoping Joel Embiid and Dario Saric will help get the party started prior to Simmons’ return.

Westbrook will now get a chance to “do it all” with Durant gone, along with help from Victor Oladipo (16.0 average with Orlando last season) plus post players Enes Kanter (12.7 & 8.1) and Steven Adams (8.0 & 6.7 rebounds). "It's not totally up to me how we play," Westbrook told USA Today. "We have to adjust to how guys play. My job is to be able to adjust to Steven (Adams) and (Andre) Roberson; those guys have gotten better. We have to be able to adjust to the team you have, adjust on a night-in, night-out basis how you want to play."

The Sixers fell one loss short of equaling the all-time record for futility in a full NBA season last year but will finally unveil Embiid and Saric. Embiid (Kansas) was the third pick in the 2014 draft but has missed the last two seasons as a result of two foot surgeries. Saric was acquired in a draft-day deal from Orlando in 2014 but has been playing overseas. However, injuries seem to always surround this team, as center Jahlil Okafor was limited to a single preseason game because of a sore right knee. Guard Jerryd Bayless (right wrist ligament damage) will be out for at least two weeks, and center/forward Nerlens Noel (left knee surgery) for three to five weeks.

One can’t help but think that when the OKC team saw last night’s final from Oakland, the Spurs’ 129-100 trouncing of the Warriors brought a big smile to their collective faces. However, the Thunder have quite a challenge ahead of them this season and laying points on the road in their first game is something I want no part of.

Posted : October 26, 2016 4:45 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Power Sports

Denver vs. New Orleans
Pick: Denver

If he already hasn't done so, New Orleans HC Alvin Gentry is likely to issue new Lakers HC Luke Walton some sage advice and that's "the grass isn't always greener." Gentry has to be second guessing his decision to leave the Golden State bench for this gig in New Orleans as last year the Pelicans were one of the most injury-riddled teams in the league and stumbled to a 30-52 SU finish, one year after making the playoffs. I forecast improvement for Gentry's team this year, but it may not come right away as once again he finds himself dealing with multiple absences from the lineup.

Anthony Davis, despite suffering a sprained ankle in China during the preseason, is expected to play for the Pelicans tonight. But neither Jrue Holliday or Tyreke Evans will be on the floor. Holliday is caring for his wife, who is still recovering from having a brain tumor removed. Evans has a knee injury and will be out until December.

The consensus seems to be that Denver has built the right way, though I'm not sure I'm as optimistic about this bunch as are some others. Yet, I do believe they can come into New Orleans and take this season opener. While there's no superstars to talk about with this group, they do have two 7 footers in the starting lineup and that figures to give the Pelicans a ton of trouble here. The Nuggets are 4-2 SU and ATS the last six times they have been a road dog of three points or less.

Posted : October 26, 2016 4:46 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Shively

Miami vs. Orlando
Pick: Miami

Miami made some moves in the offseason as Dwyane Wade packed his bags, but ‘father time’ was catching up to him so that’s not a bad thing nor as big of a drop off as some might think. The Heat picked up Dion Waiters who was the team’s 3rd leading scorer in the preseason. Waiters and Luke Babbitt combined for almost four 4 pointers a game behind 44% shooting from behind the arch. Babbitt ranked as the teams purest shooter in the preseason and Waiters looked good beating his man off the dribble, notably against Orlando on October 18th. Miami has a defensive presence down low in Hassan Whiteside who is a rebounding monster and has the edge down low as Orlando’s newly acquired Bismack Biyombo is suspended for this game.

Miami and Orlando played in the preseason and it was a 107-77 final with the Heat dominating the game and that was without Justise Winslow, Hassan Whiteside, and Luke Babbitt. Miami suffocated Orlando holding them to 33.7% shooting from the floor.

Orlando only shot above 47% from the floor once in the preseason. They turned the ball over 23 times or more 3 times in seven games. The Magic traded Victor Oladipo for Serge Ibaka and they also got Jeff Green. I think it takes time for the Magic to find their identity just as it did last year as they started out 0-3.

Orlando was a 5 point favorite last year against the Heat and lost straight up, 108-101. This marks only the 2nd time in the last 10 home meetings that the Magic have been a favorite in this series. Orlando is 1-7 SU their last home meetings against the Heat.

Posted : October 26, 2016 4:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

Denver +2

As a whole, I do like the Pelicans - it's hard not to with Davis, who for me is one of the more fun players to watch. But, he's had ankle issues and this early in the season unless he's 100% they're not going to force the issue. Yes, he'll play, but how effectively. Holiday and Evans, BOTH guards, are OUT. Poindexter is OUT. I love Buddy Heild - but this is now the NBA - the line is further back and the there is actual defense being played. Unless and until he proves he can carry a team like Steph Curry I'm not ready to assume that he will. Basketball in New Orleans is like ice hockey in Atlanta - not many people really give a sh*t and there is far less of a home court advantage. With so many new players it's usually tough to establish a good rotation this early, which is another reason I like Denver. They had very little turnover. New Orleans was barely a .500 team at home last season - Denver is simply the better team here.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bruce Marshall

Denver +1.5

Curious series trends last season when the underdog won outright in all three meetings. As a year ago, we're starting to wonder if Alvin Gentry is ever going to coach a full-strength New Orleans team, as Pels start off minus Tyreke Evans and Jrue Holiday, and Anthony Davis was hobbling on a bum ankle at the conclusion of preseason. On the other hand, Nuggets happy to have back key F Wilson Chandler, whose hip injury erased him from the entire 2015-16 campaign. Respect LY's trends that included Pels 8-14 as home chalk, Nuggets 23-13 as road dog.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:47 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Teddy Davis

Pacers -6½

If you have listened to me talk about the Pacers on a couple podcasts clearly I am very high on this team this year. They have all the pieces in place to make a serious run in the Eastern Conference. I love the additions of Jeff Teague, Thaddeus Young & Al Jefferson. They have All Star Paul George who leads this team. Second year player in Myles Turner will really take a big step forward for them and be a go to guy in certain situations as he is a mismatch nightmare for teams. I don't like this Mavs team heading into the season as they brought in Harrison Barnes as their big signing. While I like him, he is better as a role player not a go to guy. Also the Mavs are another year older with Deron Williams and Dirk Nowitzki. Pacers will have no problem shutting this team down and making an opening statement.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:55 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brandon Lee

Cubs -132

The Indians took Game 1 of the World Series behind another incredible start from Corey Kluber. That's really the only game where Cleveland's starting pitching can stack up against the Cubs. In their Game 1 win, the Indians also had to use Andrew Miller for 2 innings, racking up 46 pitches, making it unlikely he throws again tonight. I know it hasn't been a great postseason for Arrieta, but I still have a lot of trust in him going forward. I don't have near the trust for Indians starter Trevor Bauer. I look for the Cubs offense to come to life and respond just as they did in the NLCS when they fell behind the Dodgers.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:56 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sean Murphy

Cubs vs. Indians
Play: Over 7

We won with the ‘under’ in the opener of the World Series last night, but I won’t hesitate to switch gears and back the ‘over’ on Wednesday.

The Cubs certainly don’t want to dig themselves an 0-2 hole before returning home and they’ll ask Jake Arrieta to lift them to victory in Game 2. He’s obviously one of the game’s premier pitchers but let’s face it, he’s been nothing more than average since August. That’s not to say he can’t step up with a big game performance on Wednesday, but I’m confident the Indians will be able to manufacture a few runs off of him – just as they have against other elite level pitchers in these playoffs.

Trevor Bauer returns to the hill for the Indians after being forced to exit early with that injured finger in his lone start in the ALCS. By all accounts he’s healed up and ready to go. The Cubs offense was a no-show last night, but I’m expecting a better performance in Game 2. Prior to that brief ALCS appearance, Bauer had been tagged for 10 earned runs over 18 1/3 innings in his previous three starts.

We’re dealing with a higher number than we saw last night, but I believe it will prove too low. Both offenses are opportunistic in nature and I’m confident they’ll bring the right approach to the plate against the two starters on Wednesday.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:56 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jimmy Boyd

Hornets -2

Charlotte closed out last season going 24-8 over their final 32 games and I think they aren't getting near the respect they deserve coming into this season. The Hornets only real significant loss from last season was Al Jefferson, but he only started 1 game after the All-Star break. They added in Marco Belinelli and Roy Hibbert, plus get back Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who only played in 7 games. That added depth to go with the chemistry of the starter, should have Charlotte poised to start out the season strong.

As for the Bucks, they really didn't do much to improve on their team that finished last year 16-games under .500. Their two biggest additions were Mirza Teletovic and Matthew Dellavedova. They also recently had to trade for Tony Snell, to fill the void at shooting guard with Khris Middleton, who is out indefinitely with a hamstring injury. Keep in mind Middleton led the Bucks in scoring last season at 18.2 ppg. It's also worth pointing out Bucks offense was far from impressive in the preseason. They only scored 100 points once and that was the last game. Every other game they put up 91 or less, 3 times scoring 83 or fewer.

Hornets are 5-0 ATS in the last 5 meetings with the Bucks and the road team is 10-1 ATS in the last 11 matchups.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:57 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Jones

Pacers -6.5

The Indians Pacers are going to be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference this season. In fact, I project them to be a Top 4 seed in the East. I just love everything about this team.

Paul George is back to superstar status and will make a run at the MVP. The Pacers added Jeff Teague from Atlanta, which is an offensive upgrade over George Hill. Thaddeus Young was also another nice addition and will remind people of his ability after going unnoticed the past few seasons in Brooklyn and Philadelphia now that he's on a contender.

Myles Turner is one of the league's most exciting big men and is still only 20. Newcomer Al Jefferson should fit well as a post scorer off the bench. C.J. Miles is a shooter who played a big role on this team last year. Monte Ellis is coming off a down year, but reports are that he rededicated himself this offseason and should be a vastly improved player.

I project the Dallas Mavericks to take a big step back this season. The backourt of Deron Williams, Devin Harris and J.J. Barea are a combined 97 yards of age. Wes Matthews hasn't been the same since his Achilles injury, and Dirk Nowitzki is washed up. Center Andrew Bogut's addition was the only thing I liked about Dallas' offseason.

Harris Barnes was one of the most overpaid free agents of the offseason, and he shot just 27% during the preseason as the Mavs went 2-5. The Mavs scored 94.0 points per game and gave up 102.9 points per game, getting outscored by 8.9 points per game on average in the preseason. Their struggles will continue in the opener.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:57 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Price

Hornets -2

The Charlotte Hornets were one of the most underrated teams in the NBA last season as they went 48-34 and finished tied with the third-best record in the East. The pretty much bring back the same nucleus of players and should be solid again. The Milwaukee Bucks went just 33-49 last season and will be hard-pressed to do much better in 2016-17. They lost Khris Middleton likely for the entire season, and that's why they traded for Tony Snell from the Bulls, who will be a huge downgrade. The Hornets won 3 of 4 meetings with the Bucks last season, including 2-0 on the road where they won 115-91 and 98-95.

Posted : October 26, 2016 5:58 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: