1 Users
0 Likes
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dennis Macklin

Tigers vs. Rangers
Play: Tigers -109

This is certainly not the same Justin Verlander we know from 5-10 years ago but there's no denying that when the calendar turns to August the last few years, Verlander flicks the switch. He's 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA over his last three starts allowing just 12 hits and striking out 22 in his L21 innings of work. He comes off eight innings of one-hit shut out ball vs. Pittsburgh and is 11-6 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 LT starts vs. Texas and beat the Rangers (and A.J. Griffin) 9-3 back in May when things weren't going so well. Griffin sports an 8.64 ERA in his two home starts this year and 1-3 with a 9.55 ERA in six LT starts vs. Motown. Verlander hasn't done his best work on the road but he's probably be -150 or better if it was home.

Posted : August 15, 2017 2:17 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dave Essler

Angels at Nationals
Play: Angels +100

Lemming move 101 here. But, there are reasons to like the Angels. It's a "don't look now" thing because the Halos are a Wild Card team if the season ends today, so anyone that wrote them off from a betting standpoint might be a bit premature. We know there's no Bryce Harper, and we know that only three or Murphy's twenty jacks have come against a LHP - he's had far less AB's against lefties, but even pro-rated his power is less than half. The Nationals pen has been better lately, but they've played the last seven games against Miami and the Giants, so IMO they're still paper tigers in the back end. Skaggs' road numbers are pretty impressive, and since those first two brutal starts he's been solid, with his only semi-blip coming against Oakland who was seeing him for the second time this season - he hasn't allowed a HR in any of his last five starts, and the LAA pen has been very good, and against a couple of decent hitting teams in Seattle and Baltimore. So, yes, lemming, but I only lemming plays I agree with. I didn't agree with the lemming move away from the Royals last night - it was enough to at least keep me OFF Oakland, which is just as good as a win and shows we're still seeing well.

Posted : August 15, 2017 2:18 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dennis Macklin

Tigers vs. Rangers
Play: Tigers -109

This is certainly not the same Justin Verlander we know from 5-10 years ago but there's no denying that when the calendar turns to August the last few years, Verlander flicks the switch. He's 3-0 with a 0.86 ERA over his last three starts allowing just 12 hits and striking out 22 in his L21 innings of work. He comes off eight innings of one-hit shut out ball vs. Pittsburgh and is 11-6 with a 3.03 ERA in 20 LT starts vs. Texas and beat the Rangers (and A.J. Griffin) 9-3 back in May when things weren't going so well. Griffin sports an 8.64 ERA in his two home starts this year and 1-3 with a 9.55 ERA in six LT starts vs. Motown. Verlander hasn't done his best work on the road but he's probably be -150 or better if it was home.

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:08 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Brad Wilton

Tuesday comp play is the Giants to cool off both Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins.

Stanton is on a torrid clip right now, and he has helped lead the Marlins to wins in 4 straight and 6 of their last 9 overall.

That is just the type of challenge Madison Bumgarner needs as he goes to the mound tonight and looks to remain in the zone.

Mad Bum has worked 4 straight starts with just 4 runs allowed over 26 strong innings pitched.

He definitely rates the edge tonight over his counterpart Dan Straily who has not pitched terrible, but stands at 0-4 over his last 6 starts.

The Giants have lost 4 straight this season to the Marlins, and have lost 3 of their last 4 games overall heading into this contest.

Bumgarner to stop the bleeding!

1* SAN FRANCISCO

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:09 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jeff Benton

Milwaukee played a high-scoring series at home over the weekend against Cincinnati, as all 3 at Miller Park against the Reds landed Over the total. I don't see that trend continuing tonight against a Pittsburgh team that comes into Suds City having played Unders in their last 3 games up in Toronto.

Series numbers also back an Under play this Tuesday, as these teams have held low in each of their last 6 meetings this season. They are also 8-1-1 Under the total the last 10 series showdowns!

Add to that the fact the Pirates have played Under the total in 7 of their last 9 on the road, and the Brewers are 12-4-1 Under the price their last 17 played at home, and it doesn't matter who is on the hill if you ask me.

For the record it will be Ivan Nova and Zach Davies to the mound. Davies has seen each of his last 3 starts land Under the total, while Nova has been hit pretty hard since the All-Star Break. Still, the Under numbers are too strong to overlook.

Pirates-Brewers Under the total.

3* PITTSBURGH-MILWAUKEE UNDER

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:09 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Eric Schroeder

My free play is on the Chicago Cubs on the Run Line, as they will carry over from last night's demolition of the Cincinnati Reds, to this game tonight.

Kris Bryant is on fire, currently riding an 11-game win streak, and couldn't have come at a better time. With the St. Louis Cardinals catching fire and challenging in the National League Central, the Cubbies need a boost.

The Reds have lost three straight after getting pounded last night 15-5, in a game Bryant and Anthony Rizzo hit back-to-back homers to cap a five-run fourth inning.

Bryant went 2 for 4 with a walk and has reached safely in 16 of his last 20 plate appearances.

Look for the Las Vegas-native to continue his hot streak at the plate and the Cubs to roll again.

1* CUBS -1.5

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:10 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris Jordan

My free pick for tonight is on the Minnesota Twins at home against the Cleveland Indians, for absolutely no rhyme or reason. It's a complimentary play and I looked for one of the biggest underdogs on the entire card. This is what I found, so this is what you're getting.

Don't get me wrong, I have to find a little worth when doing it this way, and the one thing I can tell you is Cleveland had to stop in Boston last night for a make-up game, rather than head straight to Minneapolis. The Indians end up winning that game, and now they are due for a letdown.

Minnesota could be revved up against a division leader, looking to gain some ground. So there is motivation for a big reason.

Take Minny and don't list pitchers.

2* TWINS

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Jack Brayman

My free play for Tuesday is on the Chicago White Sox over the Los Angeles Dodgers, and I don't want you listing pitchers.

Yup, the Dodgers are handing the ball to Alex Wood, who is going for win No. 15. Oh well, I like the other side. I think Los Angeles is too big a favorite here, and will come in a little too relaxed, and will get caught slipping.

Besides, Wood is 3-5 in Interleague play over 15 outings, 10 of them starts. So even though I'm not listing pitchers, I don't mind going against Wood with an American League team.

Despite a dismal 45-70 mark, the White Sox won four of six at home against the Houston Astros and Kansas City Royals most recently, and just may arrive with a little chip on their shoulders.

Let's play the road dog here, and take a shot with a $3 dog.

3* WHITE SOX

(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The Prez

Detroit Tigers at Texas Rangers
Play: Texas Rangers +108

The Tigers and the Rangers square off at Globe Life Park in Arlington on Tuesday night with first pitch scheduled for 8:05 p.m. ET when Detroit's right-hander Justin Verlander (8-7, 3.97) opposes Texas righty A.J. Griffin (5-3, 5.40).

Giving Rangers' starter A.J. Griffin a pass in his last start shouldn't be a given but it should be considered when accessing this American League matchup. The Rangers aim to stay in contention for one of the AL Wild Card spots and push Griffin to the mound for only his 11th start of the season and his third since returning from the disabled list. Griffin was pressed into duty a day earlier than schedule in his last turn when Andrew Cashner was scratched because of a stiff neck. Griffin allowed four runs on four hits and walked three while striking out three over five innings in a loss to the New York Mets.

Griffin has the ability to put together six solid innings versus a depleted and struggling Detroit offense. Dating back to May, his 5th start of the 2017 campaign against San Diego the Rangers' Griffin tossed a complete game shutout and did so with only four strikeouts. Through his first five starts he sported 10-plus K/9 and a 3.35 SIERA. Griffin sports a stellar 10.1 SwStr percentage despite barely reaching 90 MPH with his fastball.

Verlander has won three straight after working five straight no-winning efforts. His last two outings saw him record wins over the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Baltimore Orioles in which he allowed a total of two runs on seven hits while walking three and striking out sixteen across 15 innings. Verlander has not allowed more than three runs in any start since July 8th at Cleveland and has five straight quality outings that include two starts in which he allowed zero runs.

Verlander has struggled with walks and the long ball this season and at this point of his career is not a good fit against a Texas offense that is slashing .241/.318/.444/.762 versus right-handed pitching overall and a Top-5 ranking in this situation .263/.343/.460/.803 at Globe Life.

The Tigers are coming off a loss in Game #1 of their series against the Rangers and have the posture of a lame duck club for the final 40-plus events of the 2017 season. The Rangers are playing with passion and are playing for both pride and a playoff berth giving Griffin and his mates the edge over Verlander and his aging liabilities.

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:12 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Bob Balfe

Tigers -110

Justin Verlander is finally back to the dominant pitcher we are used to seeing. I don’t trust the Tigers bullpen at all, but with Verlander on the hill I expect him to go most of the game. Detroit has been hitting the ball well as of late and should rock Griffin tonight.

Posted : August 15, 2017 5:13 pm
(@blade)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

OC Dooley

Twins +150

At most offshore locations Cleveland opened as a hefty 170-favorite on the highway but that figure has been dropping in part due to Minnesota's current winning streak which has them amazingly a HALF GAME out of a Wildcard Playoff spot. On the mound for the Twins is ageless Bartolo Colon who is on a 14-6 long term run when facing "winning" teams. Colon who actually spent the initial 6 seasons of his career with the Cleveland organization has been brilliant in the last pair of trips to the mound twirling a COMPLETE GAME along with another outing with 7 shutout innings. Tonight's setup is very difficult for Cleveland who just last night had to play a "make up" game at Fenway Park where arguably they caught the Red Sox at the perfect time as Boston was coming off a high profile series against the rival Yankees. Thus this evening marks Cleveland's THIRD game in 3 days at a DIFFERENT location which opens the door to an unusual handicapping setup for which I am taking advantage

Posted : August 15, 2017 6:55 pm
Page 3 / 3
Share: