TheSpread is Pleased to Welcome GTBets as Our Newest Sportsbook Sponsor!
New Players Coming From TheSpread Can Enjoy a 100% Cash Signup Bonus. Click This Link to Join GTBets Now!
NBA Betting News and Notes Friday December, 28
NBA Betting News and Notes Friday December, 28
Friday NBA Tips
By Kevin Rogers
The 12-pack of games inside the NBA on Friday mostly highlights Western Conference clubs that are trying to break into the upper-tier. The Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, and Grizzlies seem to be the top four teams out West, but there are a handful of clubs that fighting for respect, including the Rockets, Warriors, and Nuggets. Those three squads are under the microscope against teams that are playing well of late. We'll start in the Lone Star State with a pair of old Texas rivals hooking up for the third time this season.
Rockets at Spurs
Houston is on fire as of late by winning and covering five straight games, including three in the underdog role as Kevin McHale's club travels to San Antonio. The Spurs are wrapping up a four-game homestand after winning each of the first three contests against New Orleans, Dallas, and Toronto, while the last two victories came by at least 20 points.
Since falling in overtime at home to the Spurs on December 10, the Rockets have run off seven victories in eight games, including outright 'dog wins at New York, Chicago, and Minnesota. Houston is scoring at a frantic pace, but its defense has stepped up by limiting six of the last eight opponents to less than 100 points. In that overtime defeat to San Antonio, James Harden missed his only game of the season with an ankle injury, as the Spurs managed a frontdoor cover in a 134-126 triumph as seven-point favorites.
The Spurs own just a 3-5 ATS record since that win at Houston, but four of those non-covers came on the highway. Gregg Popovich's team has won seven consecutive games at AT&T Center, while cashing five times, including Wednesday's 100-80 blowout of the Raptors as 14-point 'chalk.' On Fridays this season, the Spurs have compiled a 4-0 SU/3-1 ATS ledger, as the lone ATS defeat came in a five-point victory over the Hornets last week.
Nuggets at Mavericks
Denver hits the road once again for its league-high 21st away contest as the Nuggets head to the heart of Dallas. The Mavericks enter Friday's game with no rest following a playoff rematch with Oklahoma City, as Dirk Nowitzki will play for the first time in front of the home fans after missing 22 games due to knee surgery.
The Nuggets took care of the unrested Lakers on Wednesday in a 126-114 shootout victory as 3½-point home favorites. George Karl's club has won five of their last seven games, but both those losses came on the road at the Clippers and Blazers. The offense is clicking recently by topping the 100-point mark in eight of the previous 10 contests, but the 'over' has cashed only six times.
Dallas returns to American Airlines Center owning an 8-4 SU and 6-6 ATS ledger, including a 15-point setback in its last home game against Miami on December 20. The 'over' is profiting at home for the Mavs by hitting nine of 12 times, while going 2-1 to the 'over' in three tries with a total of 200 or above. Dallas has won just two of seven times with no rest, as the Mavs are 5-2 to the 'under' in this situation.
Clippers at Jazz
Utah returned home from a 1-3 road trip on Wednesday only to get tripped up by Golden State, 94-83. The Jazz fell behind from the tip in their third home defeat in 12 tries, while being held to less than 97 points for the seventh straight game. The Clippers head to Salt Lake City looking for their second victory over the Jazz this month.
Los Angeles headed into Thursday's home contest with Boston riding a 14-game winning streak, including six consecutive road victories. This highway hot streak began with a 105-104 triumph at Utah on December 3 as the Clippers won for the second straight time at EnergySolutions Arena following a 16-game skid that dated from March 2003 to January 2012. L.A. has won three of five times with no rest, but has failed to cover in two of three tries on the road in this spot.
With Utah's low-scoring ways as of late, 'under' bettors are taking notice as the Jazz have cashed the 'under' in six of the last eight contests. The Jazz have taken care of business in two opportunities as a home underdog by beating the Spurs outright on December 12, while barely covering as two-point 'dogs in the one-point setback to the Clippers earlier this month.
76ers at Warriors
Philadelphia has cashed in each of its first two games of an eight-game road trip, including a solid 99-89 triumph at Memphis on Wednesday as nine-point 'dogs. The Sixers have covered in three straight games since Jrue Holiday's return to the lineup following a five-game losing streak, as the task will be tough once again with a visit to Oracle Arena.
The Warriors have alternated wins and losses in each of the last five games, coming off Wednesday's road triumph at Utah. That low-scoring victory snapped a five-game streak of 'overs' for Mark Jackson's club, as Golden State is 5-1 to the 'over' the last six home contests. Oracle Arena is turning back into a strong home-court advantage as the Warriors have picked up five wins (and covers) in six tries against Eastern Conference opponents.
The Sixers have split 10 games in the role of a road underdog this season, while playing only their fourth game against Western Conference foes on the highway (2-1 SU/ATS). Doug Collins' squad has lost four straight games coming off a win, but picked up a pair of covers as away 'dogs at Chicago and Brooklyn. Philadelphia has won five of the last six meetings with Golden State, including a season sweep of the Warriors last season.
Re: NBA Betting News and Notes Friday December, 28
NBA Point Spreads and Trends: Fri., Dec. 28
By: The Linemakers
There are 12 NBA games on the schedule Friday night, with the biggest story being the Los Angeles Clippers going for their 16th-straight win, already a franchise record, when they face the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City. The Jazz nearly ended the Clippers win streak early in Utah on Dec. 3, but L.A. prevailed 105-104.
Utah is one of the toughest places to play in the league, especially for opposing teams playing the night before -- like the Clippers did last night -- and having to play at the higher elevation in Salt Lake City. However, the Jazz are 9-3 at home, showing that they are beatable. The Clippers are 9-3 on the road.
The Clippers have been crushing teams during their streak, winning by 12 points or more 11 times. The two teams will meet again on Sunday in the Staples Center.
* The Suns have gone 5-1-1 ATS in their last seven games. The Pacers have covered their past four games against teams with a losing record. The Pacers and Suns have gone OVER the total in their last five meetings in Indiana. The Pacers are -7.5 with a total of 188.
* The Magic have covered seven of their last eight games on the road. The underdog has covered the past four meetings between the Magic and Pacers. The Magic are -1.5 with a total of 182.
* The Bobcats have not covered their past five Friday games. The Nets have not covered in their past five games. The Nets are -9.5 with a total of 193.
*The Heat have covered their past six games. The Pistons have covered only once in their last six home games. The Heat and Pistons have gone UNDER the total in five of their past seven games. The Heat are -6.5 with a total of 190.5.
* The Hawks have covered 13 of their past 19 road games. The Cavs have covered their past four games against teams with a winning percentage over .600. The Hawks are -5.5 with a total of 190.
* The Raptors have covered seven of their past eight games against teams with a winning percentage below .400. They have also covered their past five meetings with the Hornets. The Hornets are -3 with a total of 183.
* The Nuggets have covered seven of their last nine games. On Fridays, the Nuggets have gone UNDER in nine of their last 10 and the Mavericks have gone UNDER in six straight. The Nuggets are -2.5 with a total of 210.5.
* The Rockets have covered their last six games against teams with a winning record. The Spurs have only covered once in their last six games against Western Conference teams, but they have covered their last four against the Rockets. The Spurs are -8 with a total of 213.
* The Clippers have covered four of their last five games on the road. The Jazz have covered their last four games following a double-digit home loss. The Jazz and Clippers have gone OVER the total in six of their last seven meetings. The Clippers are -3 with a total of 192.
* The Knicks have not covered the spread in five of their last seven games. The Kings have covered five of their last six games against teams with a winning record. The Knicks are -4 with a total of 199.
* The Blazers have covered only twice in their last nine road games. The Lakers have covered only twice in their last seven home games. The Lakers and Blazers have gone OVER the total in their last four meetings. The Lakers are -9.5 with a total of 205.5.
* The 76ers have covered seven of their last eight Friday games. They have gone OVER the total in their last nine games against Western Conference teams. The favorite has covered the last four meetings between the 76ers and Warriors. The Warriors are -6 with a total of 200.5.
* Suns guard Goran Dragic (back) is OUT.
* Magic forward Glen Davis (shoulder) is OUT indefinitely.
* Heat guard Dwyane Wade (suspension) is OUT.
* Cavs forward Anderson Varejao (knee) is OUT.
* Bobcats guard Ben Gordon (knee) is questionable.
* Raptors guard Kyle Lowery (tricep) is probable.
* Raptors forward Andrea Bargnani (elbow) is OUT indefinitely.
* Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki (knee) is probable.
* Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony (knee) is questionable.
* Knicks guard Raymond Felton (finger) is OUT.
* Kings guard Tyreke Evans (knee) is OUT.
* Blazers guard Wesley Matthews (hip) is OUT.