|Appeals court clears way for pat-down searches to resume at Bucs games|
|Written by Admin|
|Wednesday, 27 June 2007 07:21|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -A federal appeals court cleared the way for pat-down searches to resume at Tampa Bay Buccaneers home games, rejecting a fan's contention that they violate his constitutional protection against unreasonable searches.|
High school teacher Gordon Johnston successfully challenged the frisking of fans entering Raymond James Stadium in three lower courts, but a three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned those rulings Tuesday - saying Johnston forfeited his right to challenge the constitutionality of the pat-downs when he consented to them.
The court also said Johnston doesn't have a constitutional right to watch a football game, that he was aware of the search policy before entering the stadium and that the Bucs can revoke game tickets for any reason.
``Considering Johnston's ticket was only a revocable license to attend games, there is in the court's opinion at least a question concerning whether Johnston had a constitutional right to pass voluntarily through the stadium gates without being subjected to a pat-down search, even if he had not consented to one,'' the court wrote.
At three games in 2005, Johnston accepted the pat-down searches but told security officials he did not consent.
NFL officials have contended such searches, which began in 2005, provide an essential layer of security in an age of constant terrorism threats.
The 61-year-old Johnston said Wednesday that he was talking to his attorneys to determine his next move. He could ask the panel to reconsider its decision, request a review by all 12 judges of the 11th Circuit or appeal to the Supreme Court.
``I don't want to give up on it,'' said Johnston, who vowed to get rid of his season tickets if pat-downs resume. ``Being a government teacher and knowing the Constitution, I think it's the wrong decision.''
Rick Zabak, an attorney for the Tampa Sports Authority that runs the stadium, said he's trying to determine whether the court's decision allows the searches to automatically resume at the Buccaneers' first preseason game Aug. 10 or if he has to ask a court to reinstate them.
The NFL lauded the ruling.
``Pat-downs are an important part of our comprehensive security procedures, including secure facility perimeters and bag searches,'' NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said. ``These limited, consensual security screenings are designed to enhance the protection and safety of our fans.''
Tampa is the only NFL city where the pat-downs had been successfully challenged in court, although lawsuits also have been filed in Chicago, Seattle and San Francisco.
50% Bonus for New Players
Are You Ready for Hoops?
Get Your Message In Front of
Thousands of Sports Fans Now
Live Odds, Scores, Injuries
And More - 14 Day Free Trial!
Easiest Time to Play is Now!
Nearly 66% Lifetime