Crede goes on 15-day DL

Last Updated on June 6, 2007 7:50 pm by admin

 

CHICAGO (AP) -The Chicago White Sox placed Joe Crede on the 15-day disabled list because of lower back inflammation Wednesday and the third baseman could be headed for surgery.
Crede underwent an MRI on Tuesday and saw a back specialist in Chicago on Wednesday. He also plans to see specialists in Los Angeles and Texas before deciding on a course of treatment. He said the doctor in Chicago gave him two options: surgery or an epidural.
“He didn’t give me a timetable on my return from (surgery),” Crede said. “He said he can do an epidural, too. I’ve had several of those in the past.”
The 29-year-old Crede has a history of back problems, and it’s been a nagging issue all season. After deciding not to have offseason surgery to repair two herniated discs, he is hitting .216 with four homers and 22 RBIs – a steep drop from last year when he batted .283 with 30 homers and 94 RBIs.
“It’s more nerve than it is a muscular problem,” Crede said. “We want to control the inflammation that is pressing up against the nerves and causing the pain shooting down the legs.”
The White Sox recalled third baseman Josh Fields from Triple-A Charlotte to replace Crede. A top prospect, Fields is batting .283 with 10 homers and 37 RBIs with Charlotte.