Wright, Beltran sidelined for Mets

Last Updated on June 1, 2007 6:00 pm by admin

 

NEW YORK (AP) -Third baseman David Wright joined center fielder Carlos Beltran on the sidelines for the New York Mets before Friday night’s game against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Wright was a late scratch from the starting lineup, complaining of back spasms. Beltran, who left Thursday night’s game against San Francisco after a collision with first baseman Rich Aurilia of the Giants, had an MRI exam on his bruised right knee. The results were negative and he was day to day.
“It feels tight,” Beltran said.
The injuries forced manager Willie Randolph to shuffle his lineup against the Diamondbacks, who came in with a seven-game winning streak.
Julio Franco replaced Wright at third base, and David Newhan played left field, with Endy Chavez in center replacing Beltran. Ben Johnson was in right field.
Franco, Newhan and Chavez are normally bench players for the Mets. Johnson was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans earlier this week.
The Mets were already without starting outfielders Moises Alou and Shawn Green. Both are on the disabled list, Alou with a strained quad muscle and Green with a broken bone in his right foot.
“We’ve got nine guys,” Randolph said. “We’ll be fine.”
Randolph said he hoped Beltran would make a rapid recovery. “He might feel good tomorrow and say he’s good to go. He’s moving around a little.”
Beltran said there is tendinitis in the knee.
“It’s a little bit swollen,” he said. “I’ve got to decide when to play. I’ll continue to take treatment and get back when I can. I feel better than yesterday for sure, but the leg is still weak. Maybe not 100 percent because that’s impossible, but maybe 80-85 percent.
“I’m not ready to rush.”
Beltran was asked when the leg was 100 percent. He laughed.
“I don’t remember,” he said. “My rookie year?”