|NFL gets requested material from Patriots in videotaping incident; further sanctions unlikely|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 21 September 2007 03:27|
An NFL statement Thursday said the team was in compliance with a request for tapes and other documents.
``The Patriots have fully cooperated and complied with the requirements of the commissioner's decision,'' the statement said. ``All tapes, documents and other records relating to this matter were turned over to the league office and destroyed, and the Patriots have certified in writing that no copies or other records exist.
``League policies on in-game videotaping and audio communication will continue to be closely monitored and strictly enforced with all 32 teams.''
Last week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose - including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.
Asked if there could be additional penalties, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Boston Herald: ``I don't expect anything further.''
A spokesman for the Patriots, Stacey James, said the team was satisfied the case was closed and was focused on Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.
A video camera aimed at Jets coaches was confiscated from a Patriots employee during the first quarter of the team's 38-14 win Sept. 9 over New York. Jets coach Eric Mangini has had a cool relationship with Belichick since leaving as Patriots defensive coordinator after the 2005 season.
When asked if the Patriots' defensive players also used microphones or other recording devices in their shoulder pads to pick up Jets audibles, Aiello said: ``We have no evidence to support that claim.''