|Spicer rejoins Jaguars|
|Written by Admin|
|Thursday, 29 May 2008 12:37|
Spicer, who led the Jaguars with 7 1/2 sacks last season, skipped the past two-plus weeks of workouts because he wants a new contract.
``I didn't want to be lagging behind, so I said, 'Let's just go on out there and get a little bit of work in,''' Spicer said.
Spicer is entering the final year of a contract that pays him about $2.5 million. He has played 46 games the past three years, with 165 tackles and 18 sacks and emerging as one of the defense's most dependable starters.
But he also turns 33 this summer, one reason the Jaguars used their top two draft picks on defensive ends Derrick Harvey (first round) and Quentin Groves (second).
The Jaguars and Spicer's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, discussed a new deal earlier this month. The team believes it made a fair offer, but Spicer wants more money.
``Nothing changed and I just said I'm going to leave that alone,'' Spicer said. ``I moved it out the way and said let me now come in and do what Paul wants to do, and that's get in here with the guys and get out there and get going.''
Spicer said he will attend the rest of the team's voluntary workouts and the mandatory minicamp on June 6-7.
``They'll work it out,'' Spicer said. ``As far as Paul Spicer, Paul Spicer is worried about one thing and that's football.''