|Auburn, Tuberville agree to 2-year extension|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 04 December 2007 16:48|
Tuberville, who was in New York for the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame induction banquet, told The Birmingham News and The Huntsville Times he and athletic director Jay Jacobs reached an agreement that will run through the 2013 season. They completed the deal Tuesday in a meeting at his hotel.
He will make $2.8 million next season, escalating to $3.8 million in the final year, the two newspapers reported.
M job and the Arkansas opening, which remains vacant.
``We're excited about it,'' Tuberville said. ``It's one of those things that we worked it slow. I know people have been anxious. I haven't been looking at any other job. I don't want any other job. I love Auburn. We want to be at Auburn a long time, as long as we can be there. Good things happen slow. We're excited about it.''
He said the deal includes a buyout clause and will provide security for his assistant coaches.
``We made sure the coaches are comfortable, and they are,'' Tuberville said. ``They're excited about it.''
Tuberville, who had been seeking multiyear contracts for his assistants along with facilities upgrades, did not immediately return a message left on his cell phone by The Associated Press Tuesday night.
The contract includes a buyout that will be at $6 million in 2008, $5 million in 2009 and $4 million after that if Tuberville leaves for another job or is fired.