|NCAA adopts new football recruiting rules|
|Written by Admin|
|Wednesday, 30 October 2013 13:39|
The Division I Board of Directors on Wednesday said in a news release the rules are effective immediately.
The new rules include:
- allowing football players to participate in eight hours per week of required weight training and conditioning. Up to two of the eight hours can consist of film review.
- prohibiting school staff members from attending all-star games or activities associated with those games.
- establishing an extended dead period when no in-person recruiting can take place in December and January. For 2013-14, Dec. 16 through Jan. 15 is now a dead period.
- establishing a 14-day dead period in late June and early July for FBS schools.
- allowing schools to pay for meals for up to four family members who accompany a recruit on an official visit.
In other business, the board asked the Leadership Council to study whether heavy reliance on online courses is appropriate for student-athletes.