|College Football Today|
|Written by Admin|
|Saturday, 06 October 2012 15:51|
- Joe Southwick threw for three touchdowns and Boise State took advantage of five turnovers to breeze past Southern Mississippi 40-14.
- Mike Gillislee, Florida, ran for a career-high 146 yards and two touchdowns in No. 10 Florida's 14-6 win over LSU.
- John Hubert, Kansas State, ran for 101 yards and four touchdowns on just 10 carries in No. 7 Kansas State's 56-16 win over Kansas.
- Tajh Boyd, Clemson, threw for a career-high 397 yards to lead the 15th-ranked Tigers over Georgia Tech 47-31.
- Trent Steelman, Army rushed for 141 yards and scored three times, including a decisive 29-yard touchdown run with 45 seconds left, and the Black Knights beat Boston College 34-31.
- Jared Barnett threw three touchdowns to Josh Lenz, who later had a scoring toss of his own on a trick play, as Iowa State ended No. 15 TCU's FBS-best 12-game win streak with a 37-23 win.
- Gio Bernard, North Carolina, rushed for a career-high 262 yards and a touchdown to help the Tar Heels beat Virginia Tech 48-34.
Florida safety Matt Elam stripped the ball from LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. following a 56-yard reception on third down in a game the Gators won 14-6 thanks to a dominant defensive performance. The Gators harassed quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who completed 11 of 25 passes for 161 yards, with an interception Overall, the Tigers were held to 200 yards of offense and eight first downs. ... Michigan State, which gave up nearly 200 yards in the first quarter, held Indiana to 37 yards and two first downs in the second half of a 31-27 win over Indiana. ... No. 22 Rutgers suffocated Connecticut 19-3 to remain undefeated. The Scarlet Knights held UConn's ground game to 53 yards on 28 carries, though UConn benched leading rusher Lyle McCombs for the first quarter after he was arrested and charged with second-degree breaching the peace on Friday.
Florida got its biggest victory yet under second-year coach Will Muschamp, beating the No. 4 Tigers 14-6 in Gainesville, Fla. The 10th-ranked Gators trailed 6-0 at halftime, but scored on consecutive drives by running on 17 of 18 plays. Mike Gillislee ended both of them with 12-yard touchdown runs, one in the third quarter and another early in the fourth. It was third time this season that Florida trailed at half against a Southeastern Conference rival and came back to win.
YOU GET A LOSS! AND YOU GET A LOSS! AND ...
LSU was one of four undefeated teams to lose in Saturday's early games, falling 14-6 at No. 10 Florida. Iowa State handed No. 15 TCU its first loss, 37-23, to stop the Horned Frogs' 12-game winning streak, which had been the longest in major college football. Penn State made it four straight victories by beating No. 24 Northwestern 39-28. The Wildcats were trying to go to 6-0. Also, unranked Texas Tech lost 41-20 at home against No. 17 Oklahoma.
Two late games featured undefeated teams playing each other - No. 5 Georgia at No. 6 South Carolina and No. 8 West Virginia at No. 11 Texas.