|NCAA says it's still considering Mauk's appeal|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 26 August 2008 12:11|
Lawyer Kevin Murphy received a phone call Monday night from an NCAA representative, informing him that the staff had denied Mauk's request for another season of eligibility. Murphy was told that Mauk could talk to the NCAA's reinstatement committee by phone on Thursday, pleading his case for the final time.
On Tuesday, Murphy said he got another phone call from the same NCAA representative telling him the staff was still considering the matter and hadn't ruled, contrary to what he had been told.
``That person called me back and apologized profusely,'' Murphy said. ``They said the call last night was a mistake, that they had not ruled. The staff had decided to sleep on it. The apology was sincere.''
NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Murphy's account of the phone calls was accurate, and that the staff was still considering the matter.
Mauk has been turned down three times by the NCAA in his attempt to get another season of eligibility. Mauk contends injuries cost him playing time at Wake Forest and Cincinnati.
He was one of the biggest surprises of last year's college football season, making a remarkable comeback from severe injuries. He dislocated his passing shoulder and broke his arm in the season opener for Wake Forest in 2006.
Mauk transferred to Cincinnati for his graduate studies, rehabilitated his shoulder, won the starting job and led the Bearcats to a breakthrough season. He threw for 31 touchdowns and 3,121 yards even though his shoulder was still in pain. The Bearcats tied their school record with 10 wins, and finished the season with their highest ranking at No. 17.
Then, Mauk set out to get one more season.
He tried to convince the NCAA that he should get more playing time because of the arm and shoulder injuries. When that appeal was rejected, he argued that he had to redshirt his freshman season at Wake Forest because of injury.
The NCAA ruled there was insufficient proof of his claims, and turned him down. When the reinstatement committee later rejected his appeal as well without letting Mauk make his pitch in person, he went to court.
Mauk filed a lawsuit on Aug. 13 and got a temporary restraining order from Hardin County Judge William Hart. The case was put on hold when the NCAA staff allowed Mauk to submit more information on his case.
He is not allowed to practice with the Bearcats while the case is considered. Cincinnati opens its season Thursday night against Eastern Kentucky.