BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) -The NCAA has told Indiana University to wait until Sept. 26 to respond to the latest allegation that the school failed to monitor its men's basketball program.
In a letter to IU president Michael McRobbie, NCAA infractions committee chairwoman Josephine Potuto said Tuesday the committee is still finalizing part of its report on former coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff, who were accused of making more than 100 impermissible phone calls to recruits.
The response originally was due Wednesday.
``We were prepared to file the document on time, but we've stopped work on it and now we'll just wait,'' university spokesman Larry MacIntyre said. ``We intend to comply with all directives from the NCAA.''
Last month, IU said it would submit a written response rather than request a second hearing with the infractions committee to answer the newest charge in the phone-call scandal. The allegation that the university did not properly monitor the basketball program was the fifth major accusation by the NCAA.
f his assistants were retained when Tom Crean was named coach April 1. Also, all but two players from last year's team have left the program, and athletic director Rick Greenspan announced a reorganization of his department and said he would resign at the end of the year.
Indiana has not been found guilty of a major NCAA violation in any program since 1960.

NCAABB Team Pages

Recent NCAABB Discussions