|Cy Young Award winner Peavy, Padres close to finalizing extension|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 11 December 2007 20:39|
Also Tuesday, the Padres agreed to terms with free-agent second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, pending a physical scheduled for Monday.
Iguchi hit .304 in Philadelphia after being acquired from the Chicago White Sox at the trade deadline to fill in for injured All-Star Chase Utley. Iguchi will replace Marcus Giles, who slumped badly and eventually lost his starting job during his one season in San Diego.
Iguchi had some offers to play third base, according to his agent, Rocky Hall.
``His No. 1 desire was to play in San Diego and at second base,'' Hall said.
The Padres and Peavy, meanwhile, worked out terms of an extension last week, pending a physical. The process was a little more involved because the Padres are taking out an insurance policy.
``I'd be very surprised if there are any issues,'' agent Barry Axelrod said.
Peavy already is under contract through 2009. The extension will run from 2010-12. The Padres hold a $22 million option for 2013 with a $4 million buyout.
Peavy, the unanimous Cy Young Award pick this season, led the NL in wins, ERA and strikeouts - pitching's version of a Triple Crown. He went 19-6 while topping the majors in ERA (2.54) and strikeouts (240) for the Padres, who came within one win of their third consecutive playoff berth. He joined Roger Clemens as the only starting pitchers to win a Cy Young Award without tossing a complete game.