|Steinbrenner backs Torre and Cashman, but says results not acceptable|
|Written by Admin|
|Monday, 30 April 2007 07:12|
Steinbrenner previously had refused comment on his team, which went 1-5 against the Boston Red Sox the past two weekends and dropped into last place in the AL East at 9-14.
``The season is still very young, but up to now the results are clearly not acceptable to me or to Yankee fans,'' Steinbrenner said in a statement. ``However, Brian Cashman, our general manager, Joe Torre, our manager, and our players all believe that they will turn this around quickly.
``I believe in them. I am here to support them in any way to help them accomplish this turnaround. It is time to put excuses and talk away. It is time to see if people are ready to step up and accept their responsibilities. It is time for all of them to show me and the fans what they are made of.
``Let's get going. Let's go out and win and bring a world championship back to New York. That's what I want.''
After Sunday's 7-4 loss to Boston, Yankees captain Derek Jeter said criticism of Torre was misplaced.
``It's unfair,'' Jeter said. ``There's no way he's responsible for us performing. He's not hitting for us. He's not pitching for us. He puts the best players out there on the field, gives us an opportunity to win. We're just not doing the job. That's unfair, and it should stop. ... He's doing a great job this year. We just haven't done the job on the field. That's the bottom line.''