The 135th running of the Kentucky Derby takes place today from Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky and we’ve complied a small betting preview for you below.
Below is our Power Ranking of the top 10 horses in this year’s Kentucky Derby.
1. Pioneerof the Nile (4/1): In his last four races, he’s finished first in every outing, including a win at the Santa Anita Derby on April 5.
2. Musket Man (20/1): Our deep sleeper of this year’s Kentucky Derby, Musket Man has placed first in five of his last six races, including a victory at the Illinois Derby in Hawthorne on February 4.
3. I Want Revenge (3/1): Won his last two races and hasn’t finished with less than a show placing in his last eight outings.
4. Choclate Candy (20/1): Has won four of his last six races, including back to back efforts at the California Derby on January 17 and at the El Camino Real Derby on February 14.
5. Desert Party (15/1): Has won four of his last six outings, including back to back wins at the Allowance in Nad al Sheba on January 22 and at the U.A.E. Two Thousand Guineas on February 12. Hasn’t run since March 28, however.
6. Friesan Fire (5/1): Has dominated of late, with wins at the Louisiana Derby, the Risen Star and the Lecomte S. in his last three outings. He hasn’t raced since March 14, however.
7. Hold Me Back (15/1): Has three first place showings in his last five races.
8. Papa Clem (20/1): Hasn’t had lower than a place showing in his last four outings, which include wins at the Maiden Special Weight in Santa Anita on December 29 of last year, as well as the Arkansas Derby in Oakland Park on February 11 of 2009.
9. General Quarters (20/1): Is 11-3-3-1 all time and won his last race at the Blue Grass in Keeneland.
10. Dunkirk (4/1): Won two of his last three races, but is inexperienced and hasn’t run since March 28.
The 2009 Kentucky Derby takes place Saturday, May 2 at Churchill Downs racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky. Below are the complete odds for this year’s event, as well as other Kentucky Derby articles that we’ve put together.
Kentucky Derby 135 Odds – 2009 Kentucky Derby Odds - May 2, 2009 – Churchill Downs
West Side Bernie 30/1
Musket Man 20/1
Mr. Hot Stuff 30/1
Hold Me Back 15/1
Frisean Fire 5/1
Papa Clem 20/1
Mine That Bird 50/1
Join In The Dance 50/1
Regal Ransom 25/1
Chocolate Candy 20/1
General Quarters 20/1
I Want Revenge 3/1
Atomic Rain 50/1
Pioneerof the Nile 4/1
Summer Bird 50/1
Nowhere to Hide 50/1
Desert Party 15/1
Flying Private 50/1
Kentucky Derby Betting Articles
Posted: 5/2/09 10:00AM ET