|Broncos WR Marshall gets 3-game suspension|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 05 August 2008 13:58|
Marshall was summoned to Goodell's New York offices on July 18 to explain a series of off-the-field misdeeds over the past year, most notably his March 6 arrest on a domestic violence warrant filed by his former girlfriend in Atlanta.
Marshall, who is due in court next month for a drunken driving trial, can have his suspension reduced to two games if he undergoes counseling and abides by other conditions, which the NFL did not specify.
Marshall will miss the Broncos' season opener at Oakland on Sept. 8 and the team's home opener against San Diego the following week. They face New Orleans at home in Week 3.
The ruling came down after the Broncos were finished with both of their practices and a spokesman said coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't address the matter until his scheduled Wednesday morning availability.
The Broncos had been hoping to learn sooner about Marshall's status but realized the commissioner was bogged down with the Brett Favre saga.
Marshall emerged as quarterback Jay Cutler's primary target during a breakout 2007 season, but he's made news on and off the field since. In March he needed surgery on his right arm after he fell into a television set, he said, while horsing around with his brother.
Despite missing most of the team's offseason workouts as a result, Marshall has put aside any worries about his health or Goodell's pending verdict to consistently shine at practice.
Earlier in the week, teammates said they were hoping Marshall would only get a warning.
``He doesn't deserve any of that because he is not a bad guy,'' cornerback Dre' Bly said. ``You hear stuff about what the other guys are doing. He is out here working hard, and he is ready to go.''