|Giants consider signing DE Simeon Rice with Strahan holding out|
|Written by Admin|
|Sunday, 29 July 2007 12:45|
Strahan, 35, stunned the Giants on Friday when he failed to show up for training camp at the University at Albany. His agent said that Strahan was considering retirement after 14 NFL seasons.
Rice will arrive in New York on Tuesday and be examined the next day, Giants spokesman Peter John-Baptiste said after the team finished its second practice on Sunday.
Rice, whose 121 career sacks rank second to Strahan (132 1/2) among active players, was released by Tampa Bay last week after the Buccaneers signed first-round draft pick Gaines Adams.
Rice had failed a physical earlier in the day after reporting to camp. The 33-year-old started the first eight games of last season before being sidelined with a shoulder injury.
After being released, Rice was confident his injury would heal and that he would play this season.
Giants coach Tom Coughlin has been playing telephone tag with Strahan since Friday.
``I have nothing to report on those lines,'' Coughlin said Sunday.
Strahan has been critical of Rice in recent years, claiming that he gets sacks but doesn't play the run well.