BOSTON (AP) -The Boston Herald sports writer who reported the New England Patriots taped a pre-Super Bowl walkthrough by the St. Louis Rams in 2002 says he will regret the erroneous story for the rest of his life.
John Tomase explained in Friday's newspaper what led up to the Feb. 2 story. The Herald on Wednesday apologized for the story, after former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh told NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that he did not tape the walkthrough and did not know of anyone who did.
Tomase said he repeatedly heard from people he trusted that the walkthrough had been taped and eventually accepted it as fact. But he said none of his sources ever told him they'd seen a tape.
Tomase said he plans to continue covering the Patriots and will work to regain his readers' trust.

NFL Team Pages

Recent NFL Discussions