|Cowboys mum on latest Pacman development|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 22 April 2008 09:26|
Pacman Jones' attorney in Las Vegas said Monday the player paid $15,000 to a 29-year-old man arrested for a strip club shooting that left a club employee paralyzed. Police called it extortion and the attorney said friends told Jones ``that if he didn't pay the money then this guy would come after him'' and his mother and daughter.
``I only know what I've read about that,'' Jerry Jones said. ``Just take that on its face.''
Pacman Jones was suspended for the 2007 season for his role in the Las Vegas incident and other off-field problems, which include six arrests since being drafted. He's expected to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell before training camp to determine whether he can return for this season.
Any missteps by Jones could hurt his chances of coming back, which is why the Cowboys must scrutinize every new headline before deciding whether to acquire him.
``The commissioner will take into account all relevant information in making his decision about Adam Jones's status for the 2008 season,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday.
The Cowboys are interested in Jones, baggage and all, because he's a top cornerback and a dynamic kick returner. Both positions are among the team's biggest weaknesses. Also, the club has had success straightening out troubled players. For those reasons, Pacman Jones has repeatedly said he'd like to resume his career in Dallas.
At a news conference to discuss the draft, Jerry Jones repeated his stance from last week - that talks with Tennessee heated up at the owners meetings and there's been ``no movement there'' of late.
``I don't know that this draft is going to create any energy, either,'' he said.