|Prosecutors begin public release of evidence in Taylor slaying|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 11 January 2008 09:42|
The 31 pages of documents released at the request of The Associated Press and other news outlets also included police reports already made public about the Nov. 26 burglary and shooting at Taylor's home that resulted in the 24-year-old Pro Bowl safety's death the next day.
Charged with first-degree felony murder and armed burglary in the case are Charles Wardlow, 18; Jason Mitchell, 19; Venjah Hunte, 20; and the accused gunman, Eric Rivera, 17. All remain behind bars while awaiting a trial tentatively scheduled for April.
The documents released Friday indicate that all four told police in writing that they understood their rights as defendants and were willing to talk to police without a lawyer present. Another document says that Wardlow ``made an oral confession'' to a Miami-Dade County detective, but the substance of that statement was not included.
Police had said earlier that they obtained confessions from at least some of the suspects, and Hunte's attorney has said he hopes to reach a plea agreement for what he claims is a lesser role in the crime.
A judge earlier this week issued a gag order preventing attorneys and investigators from commenting about the case to the media.
The so-called ``Miranda waiver'' form signed Nov. 30 by Rivera contains police notes at the top indicating that Rivera had gotten no sleep the night before because he was ``on the telephone and television (playing games).'' All four suspects told investigators they were not under the influence of drugs or alcohol when they signed the waiver forms.