|Cheating scandal could leave Florida St. without top players|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 18 December 2007 10:19|
School officials said Tuesday that several athletes will be ruled ineligible for the bowl as well as games next season for their roles in a cheating scandal earlier this year. Coach Bobby Bowden put the figure in the 25-player range
Federal privacy laws prohibit the school from releasing names.
``We want to make sure that we have complete information, and that we have dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's,'' said Lee Hinkle, vice president of university relations. ``It is premature to say anything at this point.''
Bowden was expected to issue a statement later Tuesday after it was reviewed by Florida State's general counsel.
Bowden has not answered questions following the team's practices on the cheating scandal that resulted in one full-time academic adviser, Brenda Monk, and a student tutor losing their jobs this summer.
The university reported its findings in a letter to the NCAA in September after a six-month investigation by the school revealed at least 23 athletes in various sports were implicated for cheating on tests.
At least two Seminole football players already have been penalized for their involvement. Defensive end Kevin McNeill missed the season and wide receiver Joslin Shaw missed the first four games.