|Oklahoma A&M regents approve contract extension for Gundy|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 07 December 2007 14:40|
The contract extension was the second in less than a year for Gundy. In March, Gundy received a two-year extension through 2012 that would pay him $953,000 annually.
The motion approved by regents, who met at Oklahoma State's Oklahoma City campus, allows interim university President Marlene Strathe to extend the contract a year, but no new contract details have been negotiated at this point, university spokesman Gary Shutt said.
Gundy, who spent much of the week recruiting before returning to Stillwater on Friday afternoon, did not attend the meeting.
``I'm just happy that we're able to continue the relationship. I think it's a great opportunity for our staff,'' Gundy said. ``It's important to continue to do that for the stability for a lot of reasons. First off, I think it helps you a lot in recruiting. The continuity you have amongst your staff is always good.''
Gundy, a 40-year-old former Oklahoma State quarterback, is 17-19 in three seasons, including 6-6 this season. The Cowboys will play Indiana in the Insight Bowl on Dec. 31 in Tempe, Ariz., their second bowl appearance during Gundy's tenure.
Oklahoma State beat Alabama in last year's Independence Bowl and finished 7-6.
``I think it's important for everybody to know that we're taking a long-term perspective on football,'' Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder said. ``It takes time to build a competitive team in a conference as competitive as the Big 12. I think we're patient. We've shown that, and we're committed for the long term.
``As I said earlier, I see progress. Really, that's what inspires you.''