|Auburn, Tuberville agree to 2-year extension|
|Written by Admin|
|Wednesday, 05 December 2007 08:53|
Tuberville agreed to a two-year contract extension that will pay him $2.8 million next season and increase $200,000 annually until it reaches $3.8 million in 2013, the final year. That will still be less than the $4 million 'Bama is giving Nick Saban.
The deal, announced in a statement Tuesday night, was reached earlier in the day with athletic director Jay Jacobs while they were in New York for the College Football Hall of Fame banquet.
``I'd like to thank the best college football fans in the country, the Auburn fans and the Auburn family for their support and patience over the last few weeks,'' Tuberville said in a statement. ``Myself and the entire coaching staff are excited about the past, present and especially the future of Auburn football.''
The contract includes a buyout that will be at $6 million in 2008, $5 million in 2009 and $4 million after that if Tuberville leaves for another job or is fired.
Tuberville is 79-33 in nine seasons at Auburn, including a school-record six straight wins over Alabama. Saban was hired before the 2007 season for an eight-year deal worth $32 million to turn the Crimson Tide's fortunes around.
Under Tuberville, Auburn has played in eight consecutive bowls and has been among the nation's winningest teams in recent years. They are 41-9 since 2004, when they went 13-0, won the Southeastern Conference championship and earned a No. 2 ranking. They fell to 8-4 this season, however, including losses to South Florida and Mississippi State.
``Tommy and I worked patiently though this process and did what was best for Auburn,'' athletic director Jay Jacobs said. ``He has not only achieved success with a winning program, but has student-athletes that graduate and represent Auburn in the finest manner.''
Auburn faces Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on Dec. 31 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.