|Drought, ban on outdoor burning postpones giant bonfire organized by Texas A&M students|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 16 November 2007 19:59|
The Robertson County Commissioner's Court decided Friday to maintain the burn ban, according to the Student Bonfire Web site. The Web site said the court would re-evaluate the burn ban again on Monday.
The bonfire was planned for Saturday, the weekend before the Aggies face rival University of Texas.
Robertson County commissioners voted this week to impose the burn ban because of dry conditions and strong winds.
Judge Jan Roe said officials didn't think it would be safe to grant an exception for the bonfire.
``Even though the stack itself isn't that high, with the flames and embers reaching hundreds of feet, and the wind being so inconsistent, there is no way to control what is going on,'' she said in a story for Saturday editions of the Bryan-College Station Eagle.
She said rain forecast for this weekend might make it possible to allow the bonfire sometime next week.
The bonfire has been banned from campus since 12 Aggies were killed when a 59-foot-high wedding cake-like stack of more than 5,000 logs collapsed as students were building it Nov. 18, 1999.
Since then, students have continued the tradition off campus.
On the Net:
Student Bonfire: http://www.studentbonfire.com/