|Drought, ban on outdoor burning postpones giant bonfire organized by Texas A&M students|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 16 November 2007 18:47|
The Robertson County Commissioner's Court decided Friday to maintain the burn ban, according to the Student Bonfire Web site. The Web site said that the court will re-evaluate the burn ban again on Monday.
The bonfire was planned for Saturday, the weekend before the Aggies face rival University of Texas.
Organizers have said that work on this year's bonfire began Sept. 22. A total of 852 workers helped cut and stack wood to build the structure at a ranch near Hearne.
The bonfire has been banned from campus since 12 Aggies were killed when a 59-foot-high wedding cake-like stack of more than 5,000 logs collapsed as students were building it Nov. 18, 1999.
Since then, students have continued the tradition off campus.
On the Net:
Student Bonfire, http://www.studentbonfire.com/