|College Football Today|
|Written by Admin|
|Sunday, 30 September 2007 06:05|
- Andre Woodson, Kentucky, completed 26-of-33 passes for 301 yards and a career-high five touchdowns and the Wildcats defeated Florida Atlantic 45-17.
- Thomas Brown, Georgia, rushed for a 180 yards and three touchdowns in the Bulldogs' 45-17 win over Mississippi.
- Brian Yost, Morehead State, threw for a 371 yards and five touchdowns to lead the Eagles past Dayton 42-35.
- Kevin Rombach, Duquesne, threw for 343 yards and three touchdowns and ran for a fourth, in a 37-10 win over Frostburg State.
- DeSean Jackson, California, had 11 receptions for 161 yards and two touchdowns in the Golden Bears 31-24 victory over Oregon.
- Eugene Jarvis, Kent State, rushed for 230 yards on 30 carries and two touchdowns to lead the Golden Flashes past Ohio 33-25.
- Adam Tafralis, San Jose State, passed for four touchdowns and 330 yards in a 34-14 win over UC Davis.
- Nick Graziano, Nevada, completed 20 of 38 passes for 330 yards and three touchdowns, and the Wolf Pack hung on to beat UNLV 27-20.
- Demetrius Crawford, Montana State, had 23 carries for 173 yards and a touchdown, and the Bobcats beat Idaho State 40-20.
- Jeremy Trimble, Army, scored two touchdowns and had 253 all-purpose yards in the Black Knights 37-21 victory over Temple.
- Kevin Smith, Central Florida, rushed for a career-high 223 yards on 33 carries and three touchdowns in the Knights' 37-19 win over Louisiana-Lafayette.
- Marcus Thomas, UTEP, rushed for 207 yards and three touchdowns, to lead the Miners to a 48-45 overtime victory over Southern Methodist.
- Darren McFadden, Arkansas, rushed for 138 yards and two touchdowns, all in the first half, to lead the Razorbacks past North Texas 66-7.
- Graham Harrell, Texas Tech, threw for 338 yards and five touchdowns and the Red Raiders beat Northwestern State 75-7.
- Josh Johnson, San Diego, threw six touchdown passes, including five in the opening half, completing 25 of 30 for 406 yards in a 56-9 victory over Butler.
- Dwight Dasher, Middle Tennessee, passed for 240 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns to lead the Blue Raiders to a 47-6 victory over Florida International.
- Paul Smith, Tulsa, threw for 333 yards and three scores and ran for another in a 38-30 victory over Alabama-Birmingham.
- Eli Byrd, Charleston Southern, threw for 398 yards and four touchdowns in a come-from-behind 46-33 victory over North Greenville.
Kevin Eberhart kicked a career-long 45-yard field goal as time expired to send Colorado past No. 3 Oklahoma 27-24 Saturday. It was the Buffaloes' first win over a top-5 team since Dec. 1, 2001, when they best Texas in the Big 12 title game. ... Freshman Wes Byrum kicked a 43-yard field goal as time expired to lift Auburn to a 20-17 victory over fourth-ranked Florida on Saturday night. ... Kansas State used two kick returns for touchdowns and an interception return for another score in a 41-21 win Saturday over No. 7 Texas, handing the Longhorns their worst home defeat in 10 years under coach Mack Brown. ... Maryland defeated Rutgers 34-24 on Saturday. It marked the second straight year that Rutgers was upset after getting into the Top 10. The victory over a Top 10 team was the first for Maryland since upsetting Florida State in 2004. ... Tashard Choice had 145 yards and a touchdown and Georgia Tech beat No. 13 Clemson on Saturday 13-3. ... Freshman Regus Benn returned a kickoff 90 yards for a touchdown and caught a pass for another and the Illinois defense intercepted three passes for a 27-20 upset over No. 21 Penn State on Saturday. ... Xavier Lee came off the bench to throw a pair of touchdown passes in Florida State's 21-14 upset victory over No. 22 Alabama.
Stafon Johnson ran for 122 yards and a touchdown and Chauncey Washington added 106 yards and a score as USC overcame itself and Washington in a 27-24 victory Saturday night. USC committed three turnovers and 16 penalties - their most in more than two seasons - for 161 yards and had a missed a field goal and blocked punt in the victory. ... LSU needed 24 unanswered points in the second half to beat Tulane 34-9 on Saturday. ... P.J. Hill ran for 155 yards and two touchdowns and No. 9 Wisconsin held off Michigan State 37-34 on Saturday. ... Kyle Wright returned from an injury to throw a game-sealing touchdown pass to DajLeon Farr with 2:15 left, and Miami escaped an upset bid by Duke for the second straight year by beating the Blue Devils 24-14 on Saturday.
Andre Callender ran for 115 yards and two touchdowns to lead No. 12 Boston College past rival Massachusetts 24-14 on Saturday. The Eagles (5-0) have not opened a season with five straight wins since 1954. ... Andre Dixon ran for 116 yards and Tyvon Branch ran a kickoff back 97 yards for a touchdown to spark undefeated Connecticut to a 44-10 win over Akron on Saturday. The 5-0 start is the best for a UConn team since 1995 when the Huskies went 6-0 as a Division I-AA school. ... Kory Sheets rushed for 141 yards, and Purdue beat Notre Dame 33-19 on Saturday to keep the Irish winless. The Boilermakers (5-0) are off to their best start since 2004. ... Hawaii beat Idaho 48-20, to improve to 5-0 - 2-0 in the Western Athletic Conference - for the first time since 1981, when the Warriors started 7-0.
Southern Illinois used four first-half turnovers in a 72-10 blowout of Indiana State on Saturday. The Salukis scored seven rushing touchdowns and returned an interception for another score as they set a Gateway Conference record for most points scored in a league game. Southern Illinois opened the game with three rushing touchdowns in the first quarter and led 55-10 at halftime. ... Omar Cuff scored three of Delaware's six first-half touchdowns, and the Blue Hens cruised past winless Monmouth, N.J., 42-7 on Saturday night. It was the sixth time in school history that the Blue Hens have scored 42 points or more in a half. ... Graham Harrell threw for 338 yards and five touchdowns and Texas Tech beat Northwestern State 75-7 on Saturday night. It was the first time in 56 years that an opponent has scored 60 or more points against the Demons. Southern Mississippi beat Northwestern State 76-0 in 1951.
Colt Brennan threw a career-high five interceptions in Hawaii's 48-20 rout of Idaho on Saturday. Brennan finished 30-of-49 for 369 yards with three touchdown passes and a rushing touchdown. Brennan's five interceptions tied a school record, and his 19 incompletions were the most since missing on 20 throws against Wisconsin in 2005 and third highest of his career.
STRONG IN DEFEAT
Michael Dougherty completed 27 of 47 passes for 407 yards and two touchdowns, and receiver Paul Raymond caught six passes for 221 yards, including an 80-yard TD catch, but Brown lost to Rhode Island 49-42 in double overtime. ... Dayton quarterback Kevin Hoyng, completed 25 of 50 passes for 322 yards and five touchdowns but the Flyers lost to Morehead State 42-35. ... Iowa's Jake Christensen passed for 308 yards and three TDs but the Hawkeyes lost to Indiana 38-20. ... Michael Mayers set a Southern Conference record with 225 kick return yards and 387 all-purpose yards. He also caught 14 passes for 162 yards in Elon's 49-32 loss to Appalachian State. ... Stadford Brown threw for 372 yards and three scores in N.C. Central's 34-27 loss to Presbyterian. ... Eddie Cohen caught eight passes for 212 yards and three touchdowns in Western Carolina's 50-21 loss to Georgia Southern. ... Duvaughn Flagler caught 11 passes for 153 yards and a touchdown, but Austin Peay lost to Gardner-Webb 20-13 on Saturday. ... Eric Moeller went 21-of-43 for 355 yards, four touchdowns in North Greenville's 46-33 loss to Charleston Southern.
snapped Saturday in the Wildcats' 45-17 victory over Florida Atlantic. Woodson's record streak ended at 325. ... California beat Oregon 31-24 on Saturday. The Golden Bears snapped a seven-game losing streak at Autzen Stadium. They had not won a game there since 1987. ... Miami (Ohio) snapped a seven-game home losing streak with a 17-14 win over Syracuse on Saturday. ... Syracuse had its 14-game winning streak against Mid-American Conference teams snapped in a 17-14 loss to Miami (Ohio). ... Wofford defeated Furman 45-20 to snap Furman's 14-game home winning streak. ... Chris Fletcher had his streak of 10-straight games with 100 yards or more rushing snapped in Austin Peay's 20-13 loss to Gardner-Webb.
Michael Crabtree tied a freshman record for touchdown receptions in a season as Texas Tech beat Northwestern State 75-7 on Saturday night. Crabtree finished with eight receptions for 145 yards, and three touchdowns to equal the mark set by Jabar Gaffney of Florida in 2000, Mike Williams of Southern California in 2002 and Davone Bess of Hawaii in 2005.
``My helmet got jacked and (wide receiver) Stephone Robinson took one in the eye. I've been to some crazy concerts, but that was worse than all of them. ... I think people smelled a lot better at the concert. Those people had been sweating for a long time.'' - Colorado quarterback Cody Hawkins on the fans storming the field after the Buffaloes' 27-24 victory over No. 3 Oklahoma on Saturday. It was Colorado's first win over a top-five team since Dec. 1, 2001, and their most significant victory in Boulder since a 62-36 win over second-ranked Nebraska.