|Former Notre Dame QB Jones expects to play at N. Ill. next year|
|Written by Admin|
|Monday, 17 September 2007 12:20|
Jones surprised Notre Dame's coaches by not showing up Friday for the bus trip for the team's game at Michigan.
Jones said he was stung by coach Charlie Weis' comments that freshman Jimmy Clausen had been the team's top quarterback but was not named the opening game starter as he was recovering from surgery to remove a bone spur from his throwing elbow.
``When I heard Jimmy was the No. 1 all the way through spring and that the only thing that was keeping him out of the lineup was his surgery, well that's not what I was led to believe going into the summer,'' Jones told the South Bend Tribune for a story Monday. ``I thought I was getting a chance because coach Weis believed in me. Then I didn't know what to believe anymore.''
Jones, who is from Chicago, said he attended Northern Illinois' 21-19 loss to Eastern Michigan on Saturday in DeKalb, Ill., but had not yet been in contact with the school's coaching staff and did not know when he would begin practicing with his new team.
``My plan is to practice with them this year and be eligible to play next fall,'' he said. ``I'd then have three years of eligibility. That's how I hope it works out.''
Northern Illinois spokeswoman Donna Turner said Monday that she had no word that Jones was yet part of the team.
``Everything so far has taken place outside the athletic department,'' she said.