|Details emerge on ex-football player's injuries|
|Written by Admin|
|Saturday, 17 May 2014 13:52|
In a statement released through the Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato, the family of 24-year-old Isaac Kolstad said he required emergency surgery Tuesday morning to relieve swelling on his brain that had increased the pressure within his skull to life-threatening levels.
''Isaac had a significant amount of his brain tissue that was no longer viable removed during that procedure,'' the family's statement said.
Police had already said that Kolstad's lungs sustained severe injury as a result of a lack of oxygen after the attack, in addition to a skull fracture and brain damage. His family members elaborated, saying his lung injuries have left him unable to breathe on his own. He underwent a tracheotomy on Friday to help manage his breathing while on life support, their statement said.
Kolstad remained in critical condition in a medically induced coma on Saturday.
Prosecutors have charged 20-year-old former Minnesota quarterback Philip Nelson, of Mankato, and 21-year-old Trevor Shelley, of St. Peter, with assault. Shelley is accused of punching Kolstad and knocking him to the ground early last Sunday during an altercation in downtown Mankato's entertainment district as bars were closing. Nelson then allegedly kicked Kolstad in the head.
Nelson left Minnesota's football program after last season to transfer to Rutgers, which dismissed him from the team Tuesday.
Both defendants are free on bail.