TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -The director of Florida State's athletic academic support program is the latest casualty of the cheating scandal that stripped the football team of two dozen key players in last month's bowl loss to Kentucky.
Mark Meleney was told his contract would not be renewed, although he will be kept on the payroll until its expiration this summer to help with the transition.
``Meleney was not fired,'' Florida State President T.K. Wetherell said Wednesday. ``He's got the option to apply for anything.''
Meleney, who was informed of his dismissal Tuesday, did not immediately respond to a phone message Wednesday for comment. He was head of the program for nine years.
Wetherell said he thought the personnel changes were largely completed.
Two of Meleney's employees were dismissed last year after it became known that answers were called out to students taking a music history class last spring. Many of those in the class were scholarship athletes.
``It's not physiology, it's a music course. Open book, online,'' football coach Bobby Bowden fumed last month during a preparation for the team's Dec. 31 Music City Bowl game. ``Anybody could pass an open book test, gee whiz.''
Athletic director Dave Hart Jr., and several of his assistants have also left in recent months, although those changes weren't directly related to the present investigation of academic wrongdoing by the school and NCAA.
Florida State is finalizing its report to the NCAA that involves nearly four dozen athletes in several sports who had answers provided to them on the exam in the three-credit hour class.
``We'd like to do it sooner than later, but that's up to the NCAA,'' Wetherell said. ``We want to make sure we've got everything in it that they want.''
He thought the report would be on its way by the end of the month. The university reported its initial findings in a letter to the NCAA in September after a six-month investigation by the school.
Wetherell has put interim athletic director Bill Proctor in charge of reshaping the academic support program.
``The president has high expectations about athletes attendance in class,'' Proctor said. ``We are working on restructuring our academic support system. We want to make sure it functions.''
The players forced to sit out the bowl game will also be suspended for the first three games of the 2008 season.
Federal privacy laws prohibit the school from releasing names of the suspended athletes.

Recent NCAAF Discussions

Handicapping 2016 Win Totals on Fri, May 2016 by Blade
2016 NFL Draft Props on Thu, Apr 2016 by Blade
NFL Draft Preview on Thu, Apr 2016 by Blade

NCAAF Headlines

More inNCAAF News  

NCAAF Top Stories

Thumbnail Cal lands Davis Webb The Cal Bears may have lost the No. 1 pick in the NFL Draft at quarterback, but the Golden Bears seem to have found a good replacement...
Thumbnail FSU dismisses running back The Florida State Seminoles have parted ways with running back Mario Pender after a recent arrest.
Thumbnail Hokies suspend two defenders The Justin Fuente era of Virginia Tech football isn’t off to a great start, as two defensive players have been indefinitely...
Thumbnail Buckeyes get 100K for Spring Game Ohio State may not have made the...
Thumbnail Petrino gets new contract Louisville is happy with the direction that Bobby Petrino is taking the football program and the Cardinals have given the head...
More inNCAAF Articles  

NCAAF Team Pages