|Lawyer for Kings center Williams says sex with woman was consensual|
|Written by Admin|
|Saturday, 20 October 2007 12:04|
``In no way, shape or form did anything wrong happen,'' William Portanova said in a telephone interview. ``Unequivocally, 100 percent, nothing wrong.''
Police announced Thursday they were investigating allegations that Williams had sexually assaulted a woman. They were notified by a hospital on the morning of Oct. 12 that a woman in her 20s had reported being sexually assaulted by Williams.
He was given an indefinite leave of absence from the team on Thursday after police announced the investigation. No charges had been filed against Williams or his girlfriend.
Williams and the woman were introduced by friends the night of Oct. 11 at a gathering at a local restaurant and nightclub, Portanova said. After the club closed, the party moved to another person's house and then to William's home, with the number of people dwindling as the night went on.
Eventually, Williams, his girlfriend and the woman were alone in a bedroom at Williams' home and had consensual sex, Portanova said.
Officers searched Williams' home Wednesday night and removed items that were being evaluated as potential evidence, said Sgt. Matt Young, a police department spokesman.
``The case will be declined because the evidence is simply not there,'' Portanova said. ``The evidence is simply not there because the crime simply didn't happen.''
The 23-year-old Williams is in his second season with the Kings and averaged five points in 26 games last season. He was signed as a free agent in 2006 out of Wyoming.
Portanova also represented another King, Ron Artest, after the forward was accused of grabbing, pushing and slapping his wife during an argument earlier this year.
Artest pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in March and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and a 10-day work project. He also was fined $600 and ordered to get counseling.