Advertisement

 HARRISON, N.Y. (AP) -Prosecutors are dropping their case against former basketball star Latrell Sprewell, who was accused of assaulting his girlfriend in front of their children.
Lucian Chalfen, spokesman for Westchester County District Attorney Janet DiFiore, said Monday the charges will be dismissed in a year if Sprewell stays out of trouble.
An order of protection against Sprewell on behalf of Candace Cabbil remains in effect, Chalfen said.
Sprewell was charged in December 2006 with third-degree assault, obstructing governmental administration and five counts of endangering children. The complaint said Sprewell assaulted Cabbil in their home in the New York City suburb of Purchase and refused to let in police for 90 minutes.
Sprewell played 13 seasons and was a four-time All-Star. He played for the Golden State Warriors, the New York Knicks and the Minnesota Timberwolves. During a 1997 practice, Sprewell attacked his Golden State Warriors coach, P.J. Carlesimo.
In 2005, Sprewell turned down a three-year, $21 million contract extension from Minnesota and has not played professional basketball since. He lives in River Hills, Wis.
f the five endangering children charges were dropped, and all remaining charges were included in Friday's adjournment.
``This is what Latrell maintained all along, that there was no merit to the charges,'' said Sprewell's lawyer, George Bellantoni.
Bellantoni said a lawsuit filed in Manhattan by Cabbil had been settled. He would not disclose terms.

Top NBA Public Bets

NBA Top Stories

Thumbnail Anthony, new faces hope to make run in East Carmelo Anthony announced his retirement from international competition in August after helping the U.S. men’s Olympic squad win gold. But will he ever...
More inNBA Articles  
Advertisement

NBA Team Pages

Advertisement