|Mets' Jose Reyes says he looks forward to several more years in New York|
|Written by Admin|
|Tuesday, 11 December 2007 15:52|
The speedy 24-year-old shortstop told TV reporters in his Caribbean homeland that he grew worried when he heard his name mentioned in trade rumors for Santana, but relaxed when Mets' management said they wouldn't deal him.
``I feel good in New York and I want to continue playing there for several more years,'' Reyes said.
Earlier this month, Mets' general manager Omar Minaya said his core players - most likely referring to Reyes, third baseman David Wright and center fielder Carlos Beltran - weren't available.
Minaya has said the team has the prospects to get the deal done without trading one of the team's anchors.
A two-time All-Star, Reyes led the major leagues with 78 steals this season. He hit .280 with 12 homers and 57 RBIs.
He hit .205 in September, however, when the Mets became the first team in major league history to blow a seven game lead with 17 to play.