SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) - San Francisco Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro says he will begin the season on the disabled list.
Scutaro has been sidelined for most of the spring with back problems.
The Giants didn't make an official announcement before their game against Colorado on Wednesday. But the 38-year-old Scutaro says he is likely to remain in Arizona for more treatment when the team breaks camp.
Scutaro was plagued by back stiffness for most of the 2013 season. He had a couple of epidural injections earlier this spring and recently had a cortisone injection.
Scutaro's situation likely will leave Joaquin Arias as the starting second baseman. Arias started at third base on Wednesday, with Pablo Sandoval nursing a small cut in his hand.

MLB Top Stories

Thumbnail Braves vs. Giants Prediction The under has been cashing when the Braves and Giants meet up, which will take place again tonight at 9:05PM ET.
Thumbnail Scorching lefties face off in BoSox-Royals tilt With mere weeks remaining in the regular season, familiar names like Chris Sale and Cole Hamels continue to dominate the Cy Young conversation in the...
Thumbnail Cubs' Hammel tries to recover against Dodgers Jason Hammel was almost ripped to shreds last weekend. Having escaped from Colorado’s house of hours, though, will the Cubs’ fourth starter bounce back...
Thumbnail Rockies vs. Nationals Prediction Can the Rockies pull off the upset today in D.C. when they visit the Nationals at 1:05PM ET?
Thumbnail Rays vs. Astros Pick The Houston Astros look to stay hot when they play host the Tampa Bay Rays tonight at 7:10PM ET.
More inMLB Articles  

MLB Team Pages