|Chien-Ming Wang, Brian Fuentes, Jose Valverde lose in arbitration as owners improve to 4-0|
|Written by Admin|
|Friday, 15 February 2008 13:45|
Two players who had been scheduled for hearings next week reached agreements, with Cincinnati giving second baseman Brandon Phillips a $27 million, four-year contract and Seattle settling on a $7 million, one-year deal with pitcher Erik Bedard, obtained from Baltimore last week.
``He's a special talent. It's just, really, about where he slots in a market of special players as a first-time eligible,'' Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. ``Based on where the market is ... there was really no room to go any higher than 4. It would have been out-of-market.''
Fuentes will get a raise from $3,525,000 to $5.05 million rather than his request for $6.5 million after saving 20 games in helping the Colorado Rockies reach the World Series for the first time. His case was decided by arbitrators Robert Bailey, Dan Brent and Elliott Shriftman.
Valverde, acquired by Houston from Arizona during the offseason, will earn $4.7 million rather than $6.2 million. He made $2 million last season, when he led the major leagues with 47 saves with the Diamondbacks.
``We're happy with the decision and happy the issue is off the table,'' Astros general manager Ed Wade said. ``Now, we'll focus on getting Jose to camp and serving as our closer.''
Valverde's case was decided by Knowlton, Goldberg and Sylvia Skratek.
On Thursday, Washington defeated infielder Felipe Lopez and will pay him $4.9 million rather than the $5.2 million he asked for.
York Mets pitcher Oliver Perez and Milwaukee shortstop J.J. Hardy.