BOSTON (AP) - A person familiar with the negotiations says the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to shorten their deal to a one-year contract worth $5 million.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because the agreement was not yet final.
Boston and Napoli agreed Dec. 3 during the winter meetings to a $39 million, three-year contract, subject to a successful physical. But the Red Sox became concerned about Napoli's hip, and that agreement was never announced.
Napoli's new deal will allow him to earn an additional $8 million in bonuses, which would bring his 2013 income to $13 million, where it would have been under the original agreement.
The person said language still had to be finalized and Napoli's deal likely will be announced next week.
A 31-year-old catcher and first baseman, Napoli hit .227 with 24 homers and 56 RBIs last year as he became a first-time All-Star. He is a .306 career hitter at Fenway Park, with seven homers and 17 RBIs.
---
AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.
Advertisement

Top MLB Public Bets

MLB Top Stories

Thumbnail Bautista re-signs, Blue Jays 30/1 Jose Bautista is heading back to Toronto on a one-year deal. What are the current odds of the Blue Jays to win the World Series?
Thumbnail Jays, Bautista could be close to deal Could the Blue Jays be nearing a new deal with slugger Jose Bautista?
Thumbnail Red Sox favored to win AL Pennant The Boston Red Sox are favored to win the 2017 American League Pennant, while the defending champs have the next-best odds.
Thumbnail Updated 2017 NL Pennant Odds The Chicago Cubs remain favored to win the 2017 National League Pennant at 9/5, but which team is listed second?
Thumbnail Cubs remain World Series Favorites The Cubs remain favored to win the 2017 World Series while the Red Sox have the next-best odds according to oddsmakers.

MLB Team Pages