|Red Sox holding firm on one-year offer for free agent Stephen Drew|
|Written by Anthony Rome|
|Sunday, 16 February 2014 16:30|
Red Sox hold firm on Drew offer
BOSTON, MA (The Spread) - If Stephen Drew returns to Boston next season, it'll only be on a one-year deal reports state.
According to John Tomase of the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have "held firm" with a one-year offer for the free agent Drew. The problem is that Drew's agent Scott Boras is looking for at least a three-year deal for his client so his status may remain in flux when spring training games begin in a few weeks.
One way or another, manager John Farrell wants Drew's situation solved soon.
"I think the one thing that we don’t want is a lingering what-if if Stephen is still out there," Farrell said. "I think in all fairness to our guys, our clubhouse, guys that would be affected if he were to be brought in."
Last week, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said that his club is unlikely to sign Drew for this season.
"I don’t keep a running tab on the payroll but we’re somewhere in excess of $85 million," Alderson told reporters. "We said we’ll probably be in that range when everything is said and done. We’d always like to have more players but that doesn’t always make you a better team."
According to oddsmakers from online sports book Bovada.lv, the Red Sox are 12/1 to win the 2014 World Series, which gives them the same odds as the Cardinals and Nationals. The Dodgers remain favored to win this year's Fall Classic at 13/2, while the Tigers are 17/2 and the Yankees are 10/1.