TheSpread is Pleased to Welcome GTBets as Our Newest Sportsbook Sponsor!
Limited Time Offer - Free $20 Bet Just for Signing Up! Don't Miss Out on Free Money, This Offer Will Expire Soon Click Here to Get Your Free $20 Bet
MLB Betting News and Notes Saturday, April 26
MLB Betting News and Notes Saturday, April 26
Saturday's MLB Betting Cheat Sheet
Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez is widely considered one of the top pitchers in the American League, but the Texas Rangers may disagree. Hernandez is just 12-20 with a 4.10 ERA in 40 starts versus the Rangers, who are a +166 underdog against Hernandez and the host Mariners.
DC tough on Cashner
Andrew Cashner hasn't had problems exerting his dominance this season, but past history suggests he may be in for a rough ride this weekend. Cashner and the San Diego Padres are a +108 dog at Nationals Park, where the 27 year old has a 9.53 ERA in four career appearances.
The Kansas City Royals know they'll need to shut down Baltimore slugger Nelson Cruz if they hope to beat the Orioles. Kansas City (+126) will rely Saturday on veteran right-hander Jeremy Guthrie, who has limited Cruz to four hits in 19 career at-bats against him.
* Members of the Los Angeles Dodgers roster are hitting .322 in 90 at-bats against Colorado Rockies right-hander Juan Nicasio.
* Philadelphia Phillies lefty Cliff Lee has 31 strikeouts against only one walk in his last three starts.
* Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez batted just .184 with 23 strikeouts in 76 at-bats against the St. Louis Cardinals last season.
* Miami Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton entered Friday in a 2-for-18 slump with nine strikeouts over his past five games.
San Diego Padres (0-8-2 O/U): The combination of solid pitching, a non-existent offense and a cavernous, unforgiving ballpark has the Padres riding high - or in this case, low - as the league's top Under team.
* San Diego Padres third baseman Chase Headley (strained hamstring) is expected to miss the next 2-to-3 weeks.
* Oakland Athletics outfielder Yoenis Cespedes (hamstring) is expected to be out until at least Sunday.
* Texas Rangers third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff (stiff back) is considered day-to-day.
* Fans attending the San Diego-Washington game at Nationals Park should expect a 30 percent chance of showers.
* Rain is also a possibility at Citi Field, where a 40 percent chance of showers is forecast with temperatures in the low-to-mid-60s.
Hot and cold betting trends
* Angels at Yankees: Over is 4-1 in New York's last five games against a left-handed starter.
* Rockies at Dodgers: Under is 5-1 in Nicasio's previous six starts against Los Angeles.
* Red Sox at Blue Jays: Over is 11-0 in Toronto right-hander Brandon Morrow's last 11 starts.
Stat of the Day
Boston right-hander Clay Buchholz is 7-2 with a 1.49 ERA in 10 starts at the Rogers Centre. The Red Sox have won his last eight starts there.
Re: MLB Betting News and Notes Saturday, April 26
Game of the Day: Angels at Yankees
Los Angeles Angels at New York Yankees (-109, 9)
Coming off a disappointing 2013 season, Albert Pujols has been anything but a letdown so far in 2014. The Los Angeles Angels' slugger aims to become the first player to reach double-digit home runs on the season when he takes on the New York Yankees on Saturday afternoon. Pujols' ninth homer was one of four hit by Los Angeles in Friday's 13-1 triumph in the opener of the three-game series.
Pujols has never faced Yankees starter Vidal Nuno, nor has any current member of the Angels. Nuno will be making just his fifth career start and his second of the season, but he is coming off a scoreless outing last Sunday against Tampa Bay. Los Angeles will give the ball to Hector Santiago, who is 0-3 due in large part to the dreadful run support he has received over the season's first month.
LINE HISTORY: The Yankees opened as -109 home faves. The total opened at 9.
COVERS POWER RANKINGS: Angels (-151), Yankees (-186)
INJURY REPORT: Los Angeles: OF Kole Calhoun - out (ankle), OF Josh Hamilton - out (thumb). New York: C Francisco Cervelli - out (hamstring).
WHAT SHARPS SAY: "This battle of left-handed starters should favor the Yankees who have been much stronger against southpaws this season. New York is averaging just 3.5 runs per nine innings with a .250 team batting average versus RHP, but average 6.5 runs per nine innings with a .300 team batting average versus LHP this season." Covers' Expert Steve Merril
WHAT BOOKS SAY: "After the Angels routed New York 13-1 on Friday night, we expect the Halos to be a popular play on Saturday. Angels have a slight advantage in starting pitching in this matchup, as Santiago has a respectable 3.68 ERA despite being 0-3 on the season. His opponent, Vidal has a 6.75 ERA in 2014." Mike Perry of Sportsbook.com.
PITCHING MATCHUP: Angels LH Hector Santiago (0-3, 3.68 ERA) vs. Yankees LH Vidal Nuno (0-0, 6.75)
Santiago has received a total of eight runs of support in his four starts, including Sunday's 2-1 loss to Detroit in which he took the loss despite allowing only two unearned runs over 5 2/3 innings. Control has been an issue for the 26-year-old New Jersey native, who has walked 12 batters in 22 innings, including a season-high five walks against the Tigers. The current Yankees have a collective .310 lifetime average against Santiago, led by Alfonso Soriano (3-for-7, two home runs).
Nuno has made one start and three relief appearances, including a 3 1/3-inning relief outing against Baltimore on April 8 in which he was torched for seven runs and eight hits. He joined the rotation this week when Ivan Nova landed on the disabled list and blanked the Rays over five innings in his first starting nod of 2014. Despite that performance, opponents still are batting .324 against Nuno this season.
* Under is 7-3 in Gibson IIIs last 10 games behind home plate.
* Over is 4-0 in the last four meetings.
* Angels are 5-0 in their last five vs. American League East.
* Over is 4-1 in Angels last five vs. American League East.
COVERS CONSENSUS: 59 percent of wagers are on the Yankees.
- Board Stats:
- Total Topics:
- Total Polls:
- Total Posts:
- Average Posts Per Hour:
- User Info:
- Total Users:
- Newest User:
- Ryan moore
- Members Online:
- Guests Online:
- There are no members online