NBA Betting News and Notes Friday, January 18
NBA Betting News and Notes Friday, January 18
Friday NBA Tips
By Kevin Rogers
Friday's NBA card begins a busy weekend of basketball heading into Monday's holiday. Two of the top teams in the Western Conference (Thunder and Spurs) look to stay hot against non-division foes. We'll start with a pair of struggling Southeast Division clubs attempting to get on track in central Florida.
Bobcats at Magic
Orlando's 11-game 'over' streak came to a halt on Wednesday thanks to a terrific defensive effort in a 97-86 home triumph over Indiana. The Magic had dropped 10 of 11 games prior to that victory, while posting a 1-3 SU and 3-1 ATS record on a four-game road trip. Glen Davis returned to the Orlando lineup in Monday's embarrassing 29-point setback at Washington, but the Magic drilled 12 three-pointers to knock off the Pacers. The Bobcats are riding a five-game skid, while scoring less than 90 points in each of the last four contests. Charlotte fell at home to Orlando in the first meeting in December, 108-97, as the Magic have won 12 of the last 13 matchups with the Bobcats dating back to 2010.
Raptors at 76ers
These two Atlantic Division rivals meet for the fourth and final time this season after Toronto routed Philadelphia, 90-72 on January 9. The Sixers grabbed the first two matchups, including a 106-98 triumph as 5½-point home favorites in mid-November. Philadelphia has dropped 14 of its last 18 contests, while covering just five times during this cold stretch. At the Wells Fargo Center, the Sixers have compiled a ridiculous 15-4 mark to the 'over,' as Philadelphia's defense has allowed at least 109 points in four of the last six games. Since winning nine of 10 games to end December, the Raptors are currently going backwards by losing five of the previous seven games. Toronto owns a solid 11-5-1 ATS record the last 17 games, while topping the 100-point mark in each of the past three contests on the highway.
Bulls at Celtics
Chicago and Boston split the first two matchups at the United Center, as the two clubs look to stay hot. Even though the Celtics were tripped up by the Hornets on Wednesday, Doc Rivers' team has won six of seven, while limiting eight straight opponents to less than 100 points ('Under' is 7-1). The Bulls are in the midst of a 7-3 SU and 4-6 ATS stretch, as Chicago failed to cover as 4½-point road favorites in Wednesday's overtime victory at Toronto. Chicago has been on fire away from the Windy City recently by winning nine of its last 11 away contests, while posting a 5-2 ATS mark as a road 'dog. In the previous meeting in mid-December, the Bulls shot 50% from the floor in a 100-89 win as 1½-point favorites.
Rockets at Pacers
Houston has been ice-cold as of late by dropping five consecutive games, while failing to cover each time. The Rockets continue their four-game road trip after losing at Dallas on Wednesday, 105-100 as four-point 'dogs. The Pacers are rolling at home with 10 straight wins at Bankers' Life Fieldhouse, as their last home defeat came back on December 7 to Denver. Eleven of Indiana's previous 13 games have finished 'under' the total, including seven consecutive times at home. Frank Vogel's defense hasn't allowed more than 92 points in a home game since November 23 against San Antonio, a stretch of 10 contests.
Hawks at Nets
Atlanta bounced back from Monday's ugly loss at Chicago to cruise past Brooklyn in Joe Johnson's return to Philips Arena. The Hawks put together a 109-95 victory without Josh Smith, who was suspended for one game due to detrimental conduct towards the team. Smith will return on Friday night, as Atlanta has lost five straight road contests, while scoring 84 points or less four times in this stretch. The Nets own a 9-2 SU and 6-4-1 ATS record since P.J. Carlisemo has taken over as head coach, including six consecutive victories at the Barclays Center. Brooklyn is putting up the points recently, cashing the 'over' in seven of the last eight games.
Kings at Grizzlies
All of the sudden, Memphis has cooled off after losing each of its last three games, all by at least 21 points to the Mavericks, Clippers, and Spurs. The Grizzlies had allowed over 100 points just once in 33 games prior to giving up triple-digits twice in the last three losses, while power forward Zach Randolph is listed as questionable for Friday's contest. Sacramento plays nine of its next 11 games away from Northern California, looking to improve on a 3-14 road record. The Kings slipped past the Wizards on Wednesday, 95-94 to finish their homestand at 2-3. The first loss came in a 113-81 setback to Memphis last Monday night, as the Grizzlies outscored the Kings, 62-36 in the second half to easily cash as four-point road 'chalk.'
Warriors at Spurs
San Antonio has dominated Golden State over the years by winning 15 straight meetings, while taking each of the last 27 matchups in the Lone Star State dating back to 1997. The Spurs are currently on a 13-game winning streak at the AT&T Center, capped off by a 103-82 thumping of the Grizzlies on Wednesday. Gregg Popovich's team has cashed the 'under' in eight of the last 10 games overall, including five straight at home. The Warriors have dropped four of their previous five, while getting routed at home by the Heat, 92-75 on Wednesday as four-point 'dogs. Golden State played without leading scorer Stephen Curry, who re-aggravated an ankle injury in practice, as his status for Friday is in question.
Wizards at Nuggets
Washington is surprisingly one of the best ATS teams recently by cashing in eight of the last 10 games, including four in a row. The Wizards melted down late in a one-point setback at Sacramento on Wednesday, but Washington managed a cover as five-point road 'dogs. The road trip continues for Randy Wittman's club in Denver, battling a Nuggets' team that has lost just two of 17 games at the Pepsi Center this season. Denver saw it six-game winning streak go up in flames at Oklahoma City in a 117-97 loss, the fifth 'over' in the last six games for the Nuggets. Washington has won only one road contest this season, but the Wizards have put together a 9-3 ATS record as an underdog of at least eight points.
Thunder at Mavericks
Dallas is starting to find its groove after winning each of its last four games, as the Mavs wrap up a four-game homestand against Oklahoma City. The Thunder keeps rolling with five consecutive victories, while cashing the 'under' four times during this hot streak. Oklahoma City staved off Dallas in overtime, 111-105 on December 27, but the Mavs cashed as 11 ½-point 'dogs. The Mavs have lost seven straight meetings with the Thunder, including all four games in the first round of last season's playoffs. Since dropping Dirk Nowitzki's season debut at San Antonio on December 23, Dallas has put together an 8-4 ATS record the last 12 contests.
Re: NBA Betting News and Notes Friday, January 18
Warriors at Spurs: What Bettors Need to Know
Golden State Warriors at San Antonio Spurs (-12, 203)
After jumping out to a hot start as one of the surprise teams in the league, the Golden State Warriors have hit their first rough patch. Friday's visit to the San Antonio Spurs, who have won 13 straight at home, is going to make it difficult to pull out of the slump. The Warriors have dropped four of their last five and hope to have Stephen Curry back from an ankle injury by Friday.
The Spurs own the best home record in the NBA at 17-2 and have won their last two at AT&T Center by an average of 19.5 points. Manu Ginobili will miss his second straight game on Friday due to a hamstring strain but the Spurs did not appear to miss their sixth man in a 103-82 won over the Memphis Grizzlies on Wednesday. Golden State has lost back-to-back games but has yet to drop three in a row this season. To avoid that third straight setback, the Warriors will need to win in San Antonio for the first time since 1997.
ABOUT THE WARRIORS (23-14, 20-16-1 ATS): Golden State has dropped 15 straight overall to the Spurs and 27 in a row at San Antonio. Curry, who stepped on a teammate’s foot and rolled his ankle in practice on Wednesday morning, is listed as day-to-day. Without their top scorer available against the Miami Heat on Wednesday, the Warriors went down early and were blown out 92-75 at home. Jarrett Jack moved into Curry’s starting spot, weakening what has been a very strong bench. The lack of offense has been a big problem during the recent slump as Golden State has failed to reach 90 points in three of its last four setbacks. The Warriors’ struggles are coming during a long stretch against top competition, with the Denver Nuggets, Memphis and Los Angeles Clippers marking the other three recent defeats. Golden State still has to face the Clippers, Oklahoma City and the Chicago Bulls as part of five games in eight days.
ABOUT THE SPURS (30-11, 24-16-1 SU): Four of the last five teams to come to the AT&T Center have failed to reach 90 points as San Antonio continues to improve its defense. The Spurs held the Grizzlies to 26.6 percent in the second half of Wednesday’s triumph and limited the Minnesota Timberwolves to 37.1 percent in Sunday’s 106-88 win. Ginobili is expected to miss up to two weeks with the hamstring strain but San Antonio has the pieces to cover a short absence. Stephen Jackson and Gary Neal each got over 20 minutes off the bench on Wednesday and Boris Diaw received some extra time as part of a bigger lineup. The Spurs are closing out a three-game homestand with the Warriors and will play three of their next four on the road beginning Saturday at Atlanta.
* Favorite is 20-6-2 ATS in the last 28 meetings.
* Over is 3-1-1 in the last five meetings.
* Over is 8-3 in the last 11 meetings in San Antonio.
* Warriors are 7-19-2 ATS in the last 28 meetings.
* Road team is 3-1-1 ATS in the last five meetings.
* Warriors are 5-16 ATS in the last 21 meetings in San Antonio.
1. Spurs G Tony Parker has averaged 18.8 points on 51.7 percent shooting and seven assists in 38 career games against the Warriors.
2. Golden State F David Lee has recorded four straight double-doubles.
3. San Antonio is 3-2 without Ginobili this season.
Re: NBA Betting News and Notes Friday, January 18
NBA Point Spreads and Betting Guide
By: The Linemakers
There are nine games on Friday night's NBA schedule, including the Bulls (22-15, 14-23 ATS) visiting the Celtics (20-18, 14-21-3 ATS), and the Warriors (23-14, 20-16-1 ATS) in San Antonio to take on the Spurs (30-11, 24-16-1 ATS). Visit our live odds page for up-to-the-minute NBA point spreads and totals.
Chicago brings one of the best road records into TD Garden tonight, as the Bulls are 11-5 away from the Windy City. Boston had won six straight games prior to Wednesday night's upset loss to the Hornets.
The Warriors have lost four of their last five games coming into tonight's showdown with the Spurs, who are 17-2 at the AT&T Center this year.
Another game of interest is Rockets-Pacers. Houston is tied for the final playoff spot in the West right now, while Indiana leads the Central Division.
In other action, Atlanta travels to Brooklyn to battle the Nets, and the Mavericks play host to the Thunder.
Here are some key trends and injuries to consider.
* The Bobcats have covered three of their last five road games and are 5-2 ATS in their last seven games against teams with a winning percentage below .400. The Magic has covered four of their past five games. The Bobcats have gone UNDER the total in their past four games, while the Magic has gone OVER in six of its last seven. The Magic are -7.5, with a total of 197, tonight in Orlando.
* The 76ers have gone UNDER the total in their last five games against teams with a losing record. The 76ers and Raptors have gone UNDER the total in six of their last seven meetings. The 76ers are -3.5, with a total of 189.5.
* The Bulls have covered only five of their last 20 games coming off a win. The Celtics have covered their last four games against teams with a winning record. The Celtics have gone UNDER the total in their last four games. The Bulls have covered eight of the last 12 meetings with the Celtics. The Celtics are -3.5, and the total is 181.5 in Boston tonight.
* The Rockets have covered their last seven games against Central Division teams. The Pacers have covered their last five games following a loss and have gone UNDER the total in nine of their last 10 games. The Pacers are -4.5, with a total of 195.
* The Hawks have failed to cover their past five road games. The Nets have gone 4-1-1 ATS in their last six games. The Hawks have covered nine of the last 13 meetings with the Nets. The Nets are -6, the total is 191.
* The Kings have covered their past five Friday games, but have failed to cover their last six games overall. The Kings have gone OVER in their last four games against Western Conference teams. The Grizzlies have gone OVER in their last four games against teams with losing records. The Grizzlies are -9.5, with a total of 191.
* The Warriors have failed to cover their past five games. The Spurs have covered only once in their last five games against teams with a road winning percentage above .600. The Spurs have gone UNDER the total in their last five home games. The Spurs are -11.5, and the total is 202.5.
* The Wizards have covered their last four games. The Nuggets have covered 19 of their last 26 games following a loss. The Nuggets have gone UNDER the total in 11 of their last 12 Friday games. The Nuggets are -10, with a total of 203.5.
* The Thunder have covered 17 of their last 23 games playing on one-day's rest. The Mavericks have covered their last five games and have gone UNDER the total in their last seven Friday games. The Thunder have gone UNDER their past four road games against teams with a winning home record. The Thunder are 4.5-point road favorites tonight, with a total of 205.5.
* Raptors forward Andrea Bargnani (elbow) is OUT indefinitely.
* Bulls forward Luol Deng (hamstring) is questionable tonight.
* Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph (back) is questionable tonight.
* Warriors guard Stephen Curry (ankle) is OUT tonight.
* Spurs forward Manu Ginobili (hamstring) is OUT indefinitely.
* Wizards guard Jordan Crawford (ankle) is questionable tonight.
- Board Stats:
- Total Topics:
- Total Polls:
- Total Posts:
- Average Posts Per Hour:
- User Info:
- Total Users:
- Newest User:
- Spread Winners
- Members Online:
- Guests Online:
- There are no members online